Notices

New Steering Wheel Help

Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Steering Wheel Help

I recently bought a new steering wheel, but I can't remove the old hub. I know these things usually freeze up like this and that I can get a steering wheel puller, but I'd rather avoid buying something I'm only going to use once if I can. Any suggestions?
Also, the screw holes for the new steering wheel dont line up with the old hub so I can't take the easy way out.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
I recently bought a new steering wheel, but I can't remove the old hub. I know these things usually freeze up like this and that I can get a steering wheel puller, but I'd rather avoid buying something I'm only going to use once if I can. Any suggestions?
Also, the screw holes for the new steering wheel dont line up with the old hub so I can't take the easy way out.
I used a 6" socket extension and a rubber mallet. Place the extension all the way down, you then have to smack the extension and pull up on wheel at the same time. It a PIA.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

some auto parts stores have them to loan or rent (pullers)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Registered

Only took about 4 hours. My buddy had a wheel puller and we finally got the old hub off. Looks pretty damn good if I say so myself

Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
Only took about 4 hours. My buddy had a wheel puller and we finally got the old hub off. Looks pretty damn good if I say so myself

Thats funny, b/c I just bought the same exact wheel, and tried to put it on today but realized I had to change the hub also and didnt have the right tools with me . Was the wheel puller necessary?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

4 hrs?????????
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
Thats funny, b/c I just bought the same exact wheel, and tried to put it on today but realized I had to change the hub also and didnt have the right tools with me . Was the wheel puller necessary?
I couldn't get the old hub off without the wheel puller for sure. However, there is a pin inside the hub that has to be knocked out, which I couldn't pop out which might explain why it was so hard. I tried using a center punch and all that did was dig into it. Even after we got the wheel puller, we still had to torque that thing quite a bit and I started having doubts.

Originally Posted by Griff
4 hrs?????????
Yeah, well even after getting the old hub off, I kinda sorta stripped all the screws in the new wheel so I had to run out and get new ones to finish the job. Didn't realize I had the Allen key for it until after they were stripped