New to performance boats

Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
tlr
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chestah Cheetah
Here's a good starter boat that's local:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2964126538.html

This one has been for sale for years. I'd make an offer on it. Can't beat the quality of a Hallett. With these motors, however, you may want some good instruction on operation.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/2941650791.html
How fast do you estimate the first one's top speed is?

I hear it's difficult for first time owners of performance boats to get reasonably priced insurance for boats over a certain top speed?

I figure if I really get into it it would be easy enough to trade up for something better.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

if you are going to rack store your boat,you may want to try and look at a 33 donzi zx its bigger than some of the suggestions here,but its a great boat with an awsome cabin,with lots of room,enclosed head.i have ssen quite a few lately in your price range,and if you find a daytona edition,they are pretty tricked out with perfomance goodies.the boat can handle big water and i feel that the boat has excellent quality.it wont leave you feeling that you want a bigger boat and the boat has pretty good performance.i sold them for a couple years and had pretty good luck with them.any how just a suggestion.i wish you the best of luck there is lots to choose from,im sure lots of people would love to have a 100k budget to get a new boat,i know i would.have fun!jamie
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
tlr
Registered

Oh my other question is what kind of mileage can I expect out of these boats? I know it varies a lot, but in general for a ~30ft performance boat, roughly what can I expect to burn for a day on the water cruising around or running at top speeds? MPG, GPH, whatever.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most of these boats seem to be in 60-80GPH rate at WOT. As far mpg thats kind of a math equation if you have a boat doing 75 and get 60GPH thats 1.25 miles per gallon. But Under normal operating I think you will see 4-8mpg. I have twins and dont go on long stretches, usually tool around for 30min-45mins park for the day then tool around coming back and that will last me 2-3 weekends on 110 gallon tank.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr
How fast do you estimate the first one's top speed is?

I hear it's difficult for first time owners of performance boats to get reasonably priced insurance for boats over a certain top speed?

I figure if I really get into it it would be easy enough to trade up for something better.
For the Sleekcraft 30, you're looking at mid to high 60's top speed. It's plenty for a first boat, easy enough to learn on, single engine operation, good stock motor, and easy trailering if you decide to.