Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph >

Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph

Notices

Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph

Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea if Eddie Young is a great builder or not, but I know there was a thread a while back saying he's basically the best of the best. Then, we have posts like the one above that say otherwise.

How on earth does the average Joe find the right guy to build an engine nowadays?

I guess that's why Mercury stays in business.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I think he was referring to the silence that comes after months of posting hype, and imaginary horsepower figures and then the boat doesn't run the number.. Forgetting about the ridiculous 1600/1800hp engines of the past, I can think of a few recent examples: 39 Skater vee, 39 Rockit, 42 Fountain. There always seems to be a good excuse/reason they don't run the number and then the thread slowly fades away. I know MER, and many other builders, would like to see one of these projects that begins with so much excitement and big claims of HP and speed come to fruition. And instead of giving Mark a hard time you should thank him for helping point Eddie in the right direction on the water pressure issue on the 505 thread. He probably saved your buddy a ton of time and money by pointing out an obvious issue. Even when the water pressure is resolved that boat still won't run the number 'cause there's no way that engine combo is making 1100hp. Post the dyno sheet and prove me wrong.

Mean Streak, your boat is truly an awesome piece of machinery and Hustler did an amazing job. I know you're not too concerned with the top end but I know Hustler would like to see a little more. I'm sure the next one with the Merc 1100's will tell the real story on how fast that his!

What should it run with 1100? What does Reggie say? Shouldn't he know or do you know more than Reggie?
Just curious
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I think he was referring to the silence that comes after months of posting hype, and imaginary horsepower figures and then the boat doesn't run the number.. Forgetting about the ridiculous 1600/1800hp engines of the past, I can think of a few recent examples: 39 Skater vee, 39 Rockit, 42 Fountain. There always seems to be a good excuse/reason they don't run the number and then the thread slowly fades away. I know MER, and many other builders, would like to see one of these projects that begins with so much excitement and big claims of HP and speed come to fruition. And instead of giving Mark a hard time you should thank him for helping point Eddie in the right direction on the water pressure issue on the 505 thread. He probably saved your buddy a ton of time and money by pointing out an obvious issue. Even when the water pressure is resolved that boat still won't run the number 'cause there's no way that engine combo is making 1100hp. Post the dyno sheet and prove me wrong.

Mean Streak, your boat is truly an awesome piece of machinery and Hustler did an amazing job. I know you're not too concerned with the top end but I know Hustler would like to see a little more. I'm sure the next one with the Merc 1100's will tell the real story on how fast that hull is!

Really. Do you want the guys to come on here everytime they take the boat out. Some of us actually have things to do. I haven't been on OSO but a few times in the last few weeks. As I mentioned before, my customers would rather actually use their boat instead of read posts about me tightening up a hose clamp. I wasn't aware that I had to check in with you guys.
As for the Skater Vee, it has run 152 mph. I have posted a pic of the speedo already. You haven't seen anything about it lately because the owner is dead. The Rockit has run over 130 mph several times. The owner has stated that the boat handled like crap with the new props. Maybe you have some you can send us. As soon as we get some that work better, we will go run it hard. For now, the owner has posted that he is using the boat with borrowed props and getting some seat time to get used to the boat. As for the Fountain, Reggie stated that the boat would run 120 with 1100 hp. It has run over 120 mph in the heat of the day with over 1000 lbs of people and gear. Where lies the big conspiracy. I can't believe that you would even question that a 555 with CNC ported heads, fairly large "C" swap cam, Whipple making 12.5 psi of boost wouldn't make near 1100 any day of the week. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. It really isn't that hard. The Seeley's have been out in the boat enjoying it all weekend. **See below**

None of the threads have died away.Just because someone isn't posting every day doesn't mean it's going away. Like I said, some of us have other things to do. I have a shop full of work that is more important than posting meaningless crap on the internet. The Fountain thread has pretty much run it's course. The boat didn't run, we built some engines for it,now it runs......end of thread. As for the Hustler, the title of the thread (not started by me) is that the Rockit ran over 130 mph, which it did. What else is missing?

I find it both amusing and pitiful that you feel the need to attempt to discredit me to make yourself look better. I'm really sorry that no one on here is talking about you. However, you are treading on thin ice. I'm not the type to sue for libel. I'm more of a hands on type of person. Since you spend so much time on here following me, why don't you find just ONE post from a customer that has had a problem with me. Just ONE that didn't get what they paid for. Just ONE that felt their engine didn't make the power that I stated. Just find ONE customer that has anything negative to say about me or my work. Surely you can do that. Pack a lunch cause youre gonna be looking for a while. When you give up, you still won't have found it. Why, because I do what I'm paid to do....and then some.

I'm certianly not bragging or do I think I'm better than anyone else. Quite the contrary, I'm a very modest guy. I just don't spend my time belittling others. I focus on making myself better. Maybe you guys should try it.I don't have the time and I certianly don't have the desire to talk bad about other engine builders. I'm better than that. You obviously aren't. Maybe you should spend a little more time making your customers happy and then maybe you wouldn't have as much time to talk chit about me.

**Here the actual post that I made in the Fountain thread just after dynoing the engines.**

Quote:I kept him in suspense. We didn't change pulleys on the first engine. We saved it for the second one, since we beat on the first one pretty good getting it tuned. Figured we should beat on the second one just as much.

We started with the same pulley combo that the engines had on them when I got them. They had a 3.75" pulley on the blower. With that pulley, they made 983 hp @ 6000 rpm and 962 ft lbs @ 3700 rpm. This was at just under 7 psi of boost. The compression on these are pretty low (compared to what I normally run), so I knew going in that they would need some smaller pulleys to make good power.

We then dropped down to a 3.5" pulley. They then made 1021 hp @ 6000 rpm and 1046 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm. There were still only making 8.6 psi of boost.

I figure that we should be able to get away with about 10-11 psi of boost on 91 octane. With 93 octane, we could probably squeeze 13 psi.

So, with that being said, we put a smaller pulley on. I thought we had a 3.25" pulley, but it turned out to be a 3.125". At first I wasn't going to try it on 91 octane, but I figured what the hell. After putting it on, I realized the belt was really too long. I put as much tension on it that I could and gave it a shot anyway. I didn't have a ton of faith that the belt wouldn't slip. It started out good with the engine making just over 12 psi at 3500 rpm at the start of the pull. However, as the rpms increased, the boost went down, meaning the belt was slipping. As rpms go up, the belt stretches. It stretched so much that the spring loaded tensioner completely bottomed out causing the belt to get looser. At the end of the pull, the boost was down to 10 psi. Needless to say, the power wasn't what I wanted. At 3500 before the belt started slipping and it was making boost, it made over 1090 ft lbs of torque. I expect the power to be in the same area. At this point we were out of time, out of gas, and out of energy. The engines need to get crated and shipped in the next day or 2 if they have any chance of being in the boat and running by Memorial Day. We just couldn't wait another day to get a belt and do it again.

Since the 3.125" pulley puts the blower spinning a little higher than it's safe limit, we are going to get some 3.25" pulleys to put on. These should put the power in the 1060-1065 hp area, with torque being just a bit higher.

This should be quite a bit more than what was there before. Should make the boat run pretty good. I will post some pics once we get them all finished up and spit shined.

THanks everyone for following along. Also, thank you all for the compliments and words of incouragement. Believe me, it is much appreciated.
Eddie

I didn't see where I claimed they made 1100 hp. However, I'm sure they are right there. They made 1020 hp with 8.7 psi of boost. They are now making 12.5 psi in the boat with the new pulleys. I have no doubt that the extra 3.8 psi of boost is worth close to 80 hp. Anyway, here are the dyno sheets. There are 2 different pulls with 2 different pulleys making 2 difffering amounts of boost. Also notice how safe the tune is. They were not cranked up for a one time pull.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-1-001.jpg   Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-3-001.jpg   Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page5-001.jpg  

Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-7-001.jpg   Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-9-001.jpg   Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-10-001.jpg  

Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-11-001.jpg   Hustler Powerboats 39 Rockit Tops 130 mph-seeleys-page-12-001.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAFE
What should it run with 1100? What does Reggie say? Shouldn't he know or do you know more than Reggie?
Just curious
According to Reggie,the boat will run 120 with 1100 hp. He probably knows more than Reggie.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I have no idea if Eddie Young is a great builder or not, but I know there was a thread a while back saying he's basically the best of the best. Then, we have posts like the one above that say otherwise.

How on earth does the average Joe find the right guy to build an engine nowadays?

I certainly don't think that I am the best of the best. However, the only people on here saying negative things about me are 2 other engine builders trying to make themselves look better. I'm not sure why, but it's pretty childish. I won't partake in bashing another builder, even though I have seen first hand some of their disasters. I'm not that type of person.
You have to do your research. Look at customer testimonials, not a builders competitors. You won't find one of my customers saying anything bad about my work. I don't think that I'm any better than anyone else. I just do what I say I'll do and do what I'm paid to do.
Eddie
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered

Mean Streak, your boat is truly an awesome piece of machinery and Hustler did an amazing job. I know you're not too concerned with the top end but I know Hustler would like to see a little more. I'm sure the next one with the Merc 1100's will tell the real story on how fast that hull is!
Your right brother, this thing is fast with to small of prop on it. I have never had a boat like this, just don't feel comfortable enough to run it hard right now. But I will in time, at the lake right now and going to do some driving next couple of days. 132 mph not to bad for the first time out, but that was with Rolf driving, not me.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
I'm sure your pumped up & ready !! Hope all goes well & can't wait to hear how they work out for you.. She sure would look nice running beside that raggedy ole beat up 37 OL in the neighborhood..
I agree!!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mean streak
Your right brother, this thing is fast with to small of prop on it. I have never had a boat like this, just don't feel comfortable enough to run it hard right now. But I will in time, at the lake right now and going to do some driving next couple of days. 132 mph not to bad for the first time out, but that was with Rolf driving, not me.
Great boat rock solid good luck!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chris@uga

I can tell my dealings with Eddie, we had these motors in our 388 Slingshot since 2005. They made 967 and 972 at eight lbs of boost, and had 302 hours on them. Eddie went through them last year and put them in this new boat, went to a 4.0 Whipple, different set of heads, and a distributeless ignition and have 7 1/2 lbs of boost made a little over 1100 hp. ( I think 1102 and 1105 ). Never had any problems, so Eddie is very good. And if you find a motor guy, just call his last five customers and talk to them. That will tell the story on the builder.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Club Drew
Great boat rock solid good luck!
Thanks brother!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.