Notices

Engine alarm

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine alarm

I have mercruiser 350 mag engines and have an alarm that beeps twice every couple minutes. Engine runs fine, oil pressure and temp is normal and still have full power. No codes show up on scanner. What could this be? Drive oil level is fine as well. I am ata loss And don't know where to look now.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you didn,t say what year it is,but i think the audible alarm is the same on all,to the best of my knowledge,only 3 things set off the alarm,low oil pressure,high water temp,and low drive oil,the oil pressure and water temp senders for the alarm system are seperate from the guage sending units.i just had the oil pressure one go bad on my fountain,my merc parts person said they sell a lot of these senders.i have also heard of fume decetors in the bilge going bad and randomly going off.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Sorry, it's a 2002 formula 292 fastec. I have confirmed its the starboard motor. When on the scanner, oil pressure and temps all normal and comsistant with the gauges. Never thought about the sending units themselves. Will have to check them out I guess.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Year and serial # of the motor sure would help. I take it, its an MPI motor and should be ECM 555 computer controlled.

IAC or IAC problem of some sort, even with a no fault code from the scan. IAC problem alot of times does 'nt show up on the scan. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

Year model of hull means nothing about year model of motor, especially In today's high repo market of boats over the last 7 years. Alot stuff is changed out and resold. See it everyday.

IAC would be the first place I would look, IAC connections, corrosion or changing it out. Good luck with it.

Last edited by BUP; 05-06-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a DDT, look at the water pressure. The sender is located on the power steering cooler.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 AM
BUP
Banned

Correct also from above post as it will be in the power steering cooler. It will most likely be either one of these 2.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gotta love the new stuff
Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Problem solved!!! whoo hooo!
Turned out to be the IAC motor which was strange since the last time one went out, no alarms went off but it just didnt idle worth a crap.

Plugged scanner back in and it didnt show up as a stored code but when i ran the motor with scanner pulling real time diagnostics, it showed up in the freeze frame faults.

Thanks for all the input guys! luckily last time one went out, i replaced both and kept the good one from the other engine and she runs just fine again and no more alarms!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Common for IAC problem / failure and no fault codes plus sometimes no running problems either. Its a coin flip on showing the fault code. Thanks for the reply fix as it will help others out that experience the same problem. I wish others would do the same.