Notices

Bravo XR lower unit issue

Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo XR lower unit issue

So Friday we launched our 45 Donzi with triples for the Tickfaw poker run. We ran for about 5 minutes through the river to our first stop, got out grabbed our hands and took off. 30 feet from the dock the center drive made a growling sound I shut off the engine.

After we pulled it on the trailer and took off the prop we found the 2 screws behind the prop on the lower unit backed out over a quarter of an inch and bent over from obvious being struck by the prop rotation.

Haven't gone any further yet but looking for any ideas of whether or not anyone else has ever seen or heard of this happening before?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Was the anode on there? Compare it to the other two, and make sure your anodes are there and in good condition. You probably just heard the anode being chewed up and coming out the prop veins which probably would not do much damage itself.

The anode should be installed with lock-tight and tooth washers. Else, they can back out. You also don't want to over tighten them as you can break the ears off of the anodes.

I'd venture a guess that your anode came apart and while exiting, it bent the screws up a bit, and that the screws themselves did not touch the prop. I don't think they are long enough to do so, which is easy enough to check. If the screws are still both there, the threads are probably OK and you can just install a new anode. They usually ship with new screws and washers.

The worst I've seen is when a cable from a crab trap slipped between the drive and the prop, tore the anode out sideways, and ripped the drain plug out. It causes the drive to drain it's fluid while at speed and blew the upper immediately. That sucked.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anode screws
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

seen it several times,,,,,,nothing to worry about,,,,just the anode screws