Notices

Go Pro on a stick!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keytime
Sorry for the brainfart. You did say boat hook. I had a case of head-up-arse on that one.

I can see editing the hook out of the scene if so desired, too. The GoPro suction-cupped to the deck with crappy sound is getting pretty old. Need more innovative ideas like this for sure. I'm considering buying a separate digital audio recorder to mix with because these cameras aren't picking up the great engine sounds of these boats too well, and that really enhances video quality, IMO.
Yea, I can see editing the pole out too. Camera angle on the end of the pole and how you hold it will help.

As for the sound, I found with the open back it's not too bad if the camera is looking forward. Check out this short video shot from my BBQ mount with the open back. The Hero 2 has a jack for an external mic. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Should be able to put a mic where ever you want.

http://youtu.be/vTJt32JHdPc
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blefever
Yea, I can see editing the pole out too. Camera angle on the end of the pole and how you hold it will help.

As for the sound, I found with the open back it's not too bad if the camera is looking forward. Check out this short video shot from my BBQ mount with the open back. The Hero 2 has a jack for an external mic. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Should be able to put a mic where ever you want.

http://youtu.be/vTJt32JHdPc
Sounds pretty good!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Sweet vid, you should get more like that..

John jr
Old 05-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Brian, It's a West Marine boat hook, I think they have two or three different lengths. Mine is 8 feet, about $25. They are adjustable so that's handy too. Go Pro has a tripod mount that is a 1/4-20 thread. I just drilled one hole in the end of the hook and attached the tripod mount.

I'll be posting more video from the street party at Desert Storm shot with this same deal.
Freaking awesome!!!

I am having a hard time visualizing the mounting. Can you post or PM me a picture? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

What a great video (and nice 29 Outlaw too!)

I see so many videos with the camera fix mounted and you're looking straight back or ahead. After about 30 seconds of those I get board with the same view.

This one wasn't long enough! great thinking and innovative idea!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Freaking awesome!!!

I am having a hard time visualizing the mounting. Can you post or PM me a picture? Thanks.
This should give you everything you need to make one for yourself. The Go Pro mount is from Go Pro. It's a tri-pod mount. As you can see the boat hook is from West Marine. I cut off part of the end because it was in the way sometimes. You can see in the photos where it was cut.

I will be posting more from Desert Storm of the street party. It was very handy for the big cats on tilt trailers to get up close footage.

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments.
Attached Thumbnails Go Pro on a stick!-dsc_0155.jpg   Go Pro on a stick!-dsc_0156.jpg   Go Pro on a stick!-dsc_0157.jpg  

Go Pro on a stick!-dsc_0158.jpg   Go Pro on a stick!-dsc_0159.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Default More GoPro on a Stick.

Not boating but here is another short video shot with the GoPro on a Stick. My son and his friend at Dumont Dunes. Was able to get some tight shots without being in harms way!

http://youtu.be/TFjewShQOok
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really cheap helicopter !! Great idea!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can shoot in 1080 then downgrade to up load faster.

I use Windows movie maker.

When you save the finished movie, movie maker gives you choices for how you save the project. 1080 will take longer to upload but look better. I use 480p and it looks fine for viewing on a computer.

I've had trouble uploading to directly OSO so that's why I put it on You Tube then link to it.

Thanks everyone for the nice words.
Thank u man!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

This should give you everything you need to make one for yourself. The Go Pro mount is from Go Pro. It's a tri-pod mount. As you can see the boat hook is from West Marine. I cut off part of the end because it was in the way sometimes. You can see in the photos where it was cut.

I will be posting more from Desert Storm of the street party. It was very handy for the big cats on tilt trailers to get up close footage.

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments.
Thank you for the pictures, it makes sense now!

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
Really cheap helicopter !! Great idea!!!
That is funny!