Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
May possibly live on a boat for a few years... >

May possibly live on a boat for a few years...

Notices

May possibly live on a boat for a few years...

Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May possibly live on a boat for a few years...

I am a physical therapist and am getting divorced. I have no kids and can take a job and travel which will result in a 50% pay raise, signing bonus, room and board stipend, etc.

I'm in my early 30s and my dream has always been to travel, live on a boat, and travel along the coast. I'd buy a motorcycle as I have ridden most of my life, carry it in the back of my truck to my next assignment, drop off the truck and ride the bike back to the boat, load the bike onto the boat, and then run the boat to the next marina. The boat would take the place of the mortgage and the marina fees would be more than covered by the living expenses stipend.

My first thought for a boat I could live on for a few years and hav fun entertaining is the Formula 40SS. Can you all relay any personal experiences of living on a boat and tell me what other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking to start traveling in about 4 months once I have 2 years experience and will patiently look for the right boat around that time.

Last edited by chris@uga; 05-12-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Good luck. Sounds like fun. I would do it. Artie
Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

chris,it sounds like you have a plan,you are young,i say go for it.i hope the new job is in a place with a warm climate all year long,good luck and have fun.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

What a dream, not really feasible
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sbarberdds
What a dream, not really feasible
why not?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I did it back in the early 90's on a 36 ft Uniflight aft cabin motor yacht for 4 yrs . Its was a alot of fun . I would get a boat bigger than the 40ss , the cabin space is to small and not enough storage for clothes and other things.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was younger I had a similar itch; wanted to experience the vagabond lifestyle living on a boat for a while and then would switch and do the motorhome deal. Never happened so I'd say go for it while you can.

You may want to look at different style boats, since this will be your home you probably want something with separate living and sleeping area. Find something reasonable and bank as much of that mortgage money as possible to go towards your dream boat in a couple of years. I would love to have a Formula 370 or 400 to play on but don't think they would be a very good live aboard boat.

Maybe a 36-42 Luhrs, Ocean, or??? How about a 40' coach with one of the 24 x 7 boats behind it...back to my reality of " wish I had .........."

Go for it instead of later wishing you did,
Rick
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

i know a guy who lived on a 50 ft houseboat for 5 years,the marina he sliped it at lifted it to replace a prop,and one of the lifting straps broke,the boat fell to the concrete and cracked the hull beyond repair,so their ins co baught the boat.i think he would still live on that boat if not for this.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Hard enough to stay on a 40ss for a weekend little alone years. Maybe if you had a 46 searay where u have a little room you could do it for a while, they have washer dryer etc.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I am a physical therapist and am getting divorced. I have no kids and can take a job and travel which will result in a 50% pay raise, signing bonus, room and board stipend, etc.

I'm in my early 30s and my dream has always been to travel, live on a boat, and travel along the coast. I'd buy a motorcycle as I have ridden most of my life, carry it in the back of my truck to my next assignment, drop off the truck and ride the bike back to the boat, load the bike onto the boat, and then run the boat to the next marina. The boat would take the place of the mortgage and the marina fees would be more than covered by the living expenses stipend.

My first thought for a boat I could live on for a few years and hav fun entertaining is the Formula 40SS. Can you all relay any personal experiences of living on a boat and tell me what other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking to start traveling in about 4 months once I have 2 years experience and will patiently look for the right boat around that time.
You will love it! Pm me....to much info to post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.