Getting speaker covers off >

Getting speaker covers off

Notices

Getting speaker covers off

Old 05-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting speaker covers off

I know I posted a thread about this some time ago, but as I'm still having issues (and it's more annoying now that I'm starting to get out on the boat), I'll ask again.

My Hammer's speakers are starting to crap out and I have replacements, but I can't seem to get the old ones off. The covers appear to just be a "twist and pop off" kind of deal, but now matter how hard I twist and/or pull, they won't come off. It's come to the point where I don't know what else to do if I want to get them off, unless I want to smash them or something. Am I missing something? Or is it just glued on from all the salt and crap.

If anyone has any suggestions, they're much appreciated.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Some pop on in behind the speaker. I reccomend using a seal puller or make a tool with a coat hanger (like a seal tool), get un behind the grille, and pull toward you. Go around the grille in several places, it should eventually pop off.

Do you have new grilles with the new speakers? If so, problem solved - get the wrecking bar out!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

That seems like it SHOULD work; I'll have to try it some time this week. With my luck it won't, but it's better than smashing the thing
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

The wire hanger didn't work. It seems like I'm just gonna have to break the tabs. The only thing is I don't want to crack the area the speakers are on, which is why I'm weary of breaking anything.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts

Drill a hole in the grill near one of the edges, get a big pair of pliers and rip the covers off.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i had a stuborn set that would not budge either phucked with them for a hour,got pi$$ed and draged out the 20 lb slide hammer with a thin 90* end on it....1 good smack and off it came..I WON....