Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm >

Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Notices

Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
they are not complaining about DS , its the fact that what happens at one event affects all events,
as boats get more powerful and faster bad accidents are only gonna increase as has been seen in
the last couple years. I LOVE powerboating and going fast but boats going 180-200mph on inland lakes
that are full of boaters is a bit mind boggling.
I think people are just worried if we have one big incident poker runs will go away all together,everywhere.
All it takes is some jerkoff in a pontoon boat full of kids to be in the wrong place at the wrong time..Wont matter whose fault it is we will all get blamed.

I tend to think the guys going 200 MPH outside of a closed course are the jerkoffs, not the guy in the pontoon with his kids that didn't happen to know a poker run was going on that day. Why do we assume that others should just get out of our way? Unless the pontoon came out of the marina that was holding the PR, how the hell would they have a clue a bullet is headed toward them at 200 MPH?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
[/COLOR]

I tend to think the guys going 200 MPH outside of a closed course are the jerkoffs, not the guy in the pontoon with his kids that didn't happen to know a poker run was going on that day. Why do we assume that others should just get out of our way? Unless the pontoon came out of the marina that was holding the PR, how the hell would they have a clue a bullet is headed toward them at 200 MPH?
+100 Very well put
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Keep posting Boatme.... I bet $20 that you would have at least 12 posts by 10PM this evening. I'm counting on you!!!

Now, as far as who is first to the card stop, IT'S THE GUY THAT GETS THE FIRST CARD!!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

[/COLOR]

Win!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then there's the thought the pontoon (or any other boater) does not care for poker runs and just wants to have a day on the lake. He has every right to put put down the middle. Maybe not the brightest idea, but there are those out there that feel that way.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

[/COLOR]

The DS volunteers place signs at every marina on the lake the week of the poker run... Big A frame signs right in the middle of the ramp... It's pretty well known all week that the fast guys are running on the lake... Not much room for surprises...

That said, yes, the lake is open for normal business and everybody has the right to be on the lake and it is incumbent upon the poker run participants to be mindful and respect that fact... and that fact is DRILLED into the participants over and over at every drivers meeting....

Sounds to me like any other poker run in the country.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Then there's the thought the pontoon (or any other boater) does not care for poker runs and just wants to have a day on the lake. He has every right to put put down the middle. Maybe not the brightest idea, but there are those out there that feel that way.
Exactly!!! Anybody up for and early morning ski run?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Ok guys let me address few concerns as well as correct a SERIOUS misconception.

To correct the most common misconception first.

1. The phrase "The Promoters" is used over and over in this thread.. To be very clear I am not part of Desert Storm. I am NOT a promoter. We are a group of guys that got together and went out and filmed an event to the best of our abilities. We on our own went out and solicited some sponsorship to help offset the enormous cost of equipment, helicopters, paid TV personalities etc..

Jim Nichols and the PROMOTERS are doing their very best and are VERY CLEAR that it is NOT a race and they quite frankly do not give 2 shiats about the 1st card stop or who was there. Please see video at 9:25 mark.. In the drivers meeting people are told to NOT drive aggressively and if they want to be that guy then to save it for the shootout..

Now for a second and more important part.. Please read this exceprt from the article I wrote titled "DCB taking down Desert Storm part 1 / 2"

DCB Takes Down Desert Storm! Part 1 of 2

It's sort of taboo in this day and age to talk about “1st to Card Stop One” because as we all know a poker run is certainly not a race. As a matter of fact in this years Desert Storm at least one “team” is going to quietly get disqualified for treating it as such. As poker runs evolve more and more are incorporating a “Shoot Out” to detract from the friendly and sometimes not so friendly competition of first to the card stop.

Overall the new formats will increase safety of the events, as well in theory provide a better show for the spectators as Huge horsepower rigs, both piston and turbine driven, unleash all they have in a mile long course. In a controlled environment and a shorter 1 mile course it should be easier for the spectators to get a better view of the action as well.

RDP has never been known to be politically correct though, and while the events are evolving this years Desert Storm and the chatter leading up to it had that same competitive vibe with respect to the infamous “Wozencraft Insurance Card Stop 1.” In short it's not my job to create the news, or judge it, or alter it, I've always viewed my position to attend the event, and more or less tell it like it is..
The Desert Storm staff is doing everything they can to push away the competition for card stop one and push it into the shootout plain and simple. To reiterate a portion of that article though, in future years you probably will see a lot more video of the shootout, and a lot less of card stop 1, as well as articles.. But THIS YEAR (again past tense) the "vibe" was still all about card stop 1.

The idea that "if" something happened "then..." is certainly an arguable point, and I can completely respect boatme's opinions with regard to that.. But the fact is we covered it past tense, and nothing happened, and the promoters are making the changes, so the idea that this could potentially hurt something in the future is ludicrous.. Point in fact if ANYTHING this helps draw attention too the fact that Desert Storm is being a leader in the Poker Run circuit by encouraging participation in the shootout, and even taking steps to defuse the competition relating to card stop one.

If someone somewhere else, possibly mars, has an event and "something" happens and potentially the sky falls in, and I get subpoenaed to a court case to testify that Poker runs are in fact thinly veiled races.. My testimony is going to say very clearly "During the event that the video in question is being discussed yes there was a friendly competition of who would be first.. That being said it happened in the PAST, and the promoters were proactive, BEFORE incident to change the dynamic of the event so that it would minimize that competition and put it into a more politically correct and structured/controlled setting. I know other promoters event coordinators have been doing the same. While it was a fun and enjoyable thing to watch back then, unfortunately due to today's litigious society it is fairly well known that Poker run's are not races."

So let me set you guys straight on a couple of things that are living in the "if this then that" land.. "If" xyz happened at an event "then" this video isn't gonna amount to a hill of beans.. Removing it / Changing it / whatever'ing it isn't going to change the fact that the blood sucking lawyers are going to come out of the wood work..

Lets say I remove the video (which I'm not), they will drag this thread up.. and let me tell you out of all the posts which will do the most damage or help the case.. boatme's and others like it. So while I can re-edit the video (if one of you guys complaining about it want to send the $$$ to pay the guys to re-edit it, because I'm certainly not gonna pay for it), are you going to chase every post on every message board on the internet that mentions the word "race" with regard to a Poker Run? Because that's how absurd it is for you to ask me to do this.

It is unfortunate that the TV personality I hired screwed up and used the word "race" and I wish I could go back and change that.. But the event is over, and I can't go reshoot the interview. Ian Howard did a great job, and in his field he spend 99% of his time covering race footage so it was a "slip" of the tounge so to speak. As for "re-edit" I'm game.. Someone send me a cashiers check for 1500.00 I'll have it pulled down, re-edited, re-uploaded and start over.." I'm going to have to refund CP Performances $$ right off the bat because now I will have no way to track web traffic, show exposure etc on this particular video.. So if you're that concerned about it again, YOU pay for it, and it'll make sure to get it done.

RD

Last edited by RiverDave; 05-16-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 64 Posts

Rich boys with their nice toys own these boats for a reason and that is to run them, so if something happened in group 3 at 80mph then everyone is still screwed, I know I enjoy seeing who was fastest every year, just like everyone else! All I have is one question for you all: Who would watch Nascar if they didnt count who won? And who would watch sports if they didnt keep score?... Yes I know racing is different, but still, why spend a half mil to a mil on a boat to run it around at the speed of a 60k boat? The fact is everyone that goes out there knows the risk, crap, driving to the grocery store is a risk just not nearly as high! But the bottom line is like RD says: nothings gonna stop the BLOOD SUCKING ATTORNEYS from going after someone in the case of any accident PERIOD!!!!

Just my short .02, and I could go on and on
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[/COLOR]

I had the same thought and you beat me to it. Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.