Notices

Green as Hell

Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here some launches that would cause some pucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou22S3VluoI
Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shag555
Thanks for all the advise guys! Any words of wisdom for what the wifey can help with? She's not the most mechanically inclined gal, and, if I let her back the boat in while I'm at the helm, I'm afraid she'd float both boat and Tahoe!

No, seriously, She and I am complete ameratures and I'd like her, and even the kids to help more, but where do I start without getting in too deep and causing damage to the boat or flooding the Tahoe? I have a great friend that was asked to set anchor, so he did... But didnt tie off after tossing in (no, not my boat!!!)
When the wife & I started out, we went out to an empty parking lot and practiced backing up the boat on the trailer how it would react ect... Practice not just once, because most likely you'll forget under stress if you've only done it once or twice. When we put in and pull out, we are on speaker phone so if there needs to be any incremental changes I can tell her. All the advice given by everyone else is dead on, you might even want to have check list on your phone. I've never forgot my plug, but I have forgotten my transom straps. Wondering why I wasn't backing out!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Why don't you and your wife go to a ramp on a weekday in the middle of the day and just practice. When I first met my girlfriend (now my wife) I hooked everything up and took the truck, boat, and girl to a park with a huge parking lot and showed her how to back up a boat. Now she's the girl backing across 3 lanes to get to the open spot to avoid the idiots taking there time
Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

I never thought of a parking lot... Fantastic idea. I also like the cell phone on speaker phone while backing in. Parking lot first though.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Shag555;3691283]Thanks for all the advise guys! I let her back the boat in while I'm at the helm, I'm afraid she'd float both boat and Tahoe!

don't worry. the tahoe won't float.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
My best advice is to take your time and establish a mental checklist of things to do. The times i screwed up at a ramp are usually my fault for being in a hurry.
ed
Good advice. Go the ramp on a weekday, when the ramp is essentially deserted, and there is no one there watching you, or putting pressure on you to clear the ramp. Then take your time, think things through, and get the know the procedure in detail. Even put the boat in, tie it to the dock, then put it right back on the trailer, and repeat that several times. I think after three or four times of that in one day, you would feel pretty confident.

If you need practice backing, go to just about any commercial office park area on the weekend, and it will be deserted. Then practice backing down a dead end street, and then into a driveway ramp. Repeat that a number of times. If the boat gets going too far in the wrong direction, you can just pull forward until it straightens out, and try again.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 05-19-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any anxiety or any issues, its a piece of cake i love it when people look at me and go damn how did you do that and make it look so easy, people really make it a serious production sometimes, best advise is have everything checked before hand, and if your really nervous throw your fenders and lines on the floor or in the back of pickup to make sure you know where they are, I often leave a separate set of lines in the back of pickup
Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I have forgotten to put the drain plug in on one launch. What I do now is have a plug with a hole on the end so that it attaches to my ignition key ring. Another good thing to have, is a spare plug on the boat, just so when you do forget, you just grab the plug, jump in and place the spare in the hole (engine off of course), tighten with a pre-fitted wrench. Yes I had to do this once also. Practice is good , check lists are great.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
I have forgotten to put the drain plug in on one launch. What I do now is have a plug with a hole on the end so that it attaches to my ignition key ring. Another good thing to have, is a spare plug on the boat, just so when you do forget, you just grab the plug, jump in and place the spare in the hole (engine off of course), tighten with a pre-fitted wrench. Yes I had to do this once also. Practice is good , check lists are great.
LOL that actually a good idea
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just takes practice, before you know it it won't bother you anymore. I usually park at the ramp take my tie downs off put ropes and bumpers on then back up to the ramp. Just take your time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.