Notices

Green as Hell

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres how me and the wife and my 7 year old kid work it all out with the boat, she packs all the stuff at home while I run the boat on the hose in the driveway to warm it up and make sure everything is right ( no leaks, check everything, Etc). By the time I do all that she has everything packed up and then hands all the stuff up to me since I’m already up in the boat. Once all the coolers, food, towels, Etc is all in there then theres no effin around at the launch trying to load all the stuff in the boat. Why so many people wait to load ALL there stuff into the boat while on the ramp is beyond me????

Anyways then I put the plug in the boat and toss 2 dock lines in the cab of the truck, then we hop in the truck and head off to the ramp. Before we go down the ramp I pull off the rear straps, and put on the dock lines. The wife grabs the lines while the boat is being backed in, before the tongue of the trailer gets over the water line I get out and remove the winch hook (my ramp is small angle so the boat wont “slide” off!) then I back her in the rest of the way till it floats then the wife gives a nod once she knows its floating free of the trailer then I pull the trailer up and park it. My kid jumps in the boat and turns on the blower while I’m parking the truck. Its maybe 3 minutes tops from the time we pull into the marina till the truck is already parked. I jump in the boat and lift the hatch to make sure theres no fumes then I hit the key. once the wife sees water coming out of the pipes she jumps in and were off since the motor is already warmed up!

When pulling out of the water for the end of the day everything is just reversed. Again, why so many people see the need to unload everything from the boat while its ON the ramp is beyond me???
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
Heres how me and the wife and my 7 year old kid work it all out with the boat, she packs all the stuff at home while I run the boat on the hose in the driveway to warm it up and make sure everything is right ( no leaks, check everything, Etc). By the time I do all that she has everything packed up and then hands all the stuff up to me since I’m already up in the boat. Once all the coolers, food, towels, Etc is all in there then theres no effin around at the launch trying to load all the stuff in the boat. Why so many people wait to load ALL there stuff into the boat while on the ramp is beyond me????

Anyways then I put the plug in the boat and toss 2 dock lines in the cab of the truck, then we hop in the truck and head off to the ramp. Before we go down the ramp I pull off the rear straps, and put on the dock lines. The wife grabs the lines while the boat is being backed in, before the tongue of the trailer gets over the water line I get out and remove the winch hook (my ramp is small angle so the boat wont “slide” off!) then I back her in the rest of the way till it floats then the wife gives a nod once she knows its floating free of the trailer then I pull the trailer up and park it. My kid jumps in the boat and turns on the blower while I’m parking the truck. Its maybe 3 minutes tops from the time we pull into the marina till the truck is already parked. I jump in the boat and lift the hatch to make sure theres no fumes then I hit the key. once the wife sees water coming out of the pipes she jumps in and were off since the motor is already warmed up!

When pulling out of the water for the end of the day everything is just reversed. Again, why so many people see the need to unload everything from the boat while its ON the ramp is beyond me???
You must have a military background! Thats pure efficiency!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

My kids are a challenge. I think it's that they're just not used to being on a boat. One is 15 and the other is 7. Lots of rough housing (which is in my opinion dangerous). Screwing around with the radio, opening the hatch (fortunately only at idling).

The other thing is when they get out and come back - they don't know to wash off all the sand, mud, or grass from their feet yet.

I need to give these kids an education on proper boating safety and etiquette (I guess), but then and again, with a little warmer water, I think the tubing will take a little of the horse play out of them too.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
You must have a military background! Thats pure efficiency!!
Nope! I'm just a lowly Engineer! My dad was in the Marines though, maybe that has something to do with it!

Its pretty funny, one of my buddys has a 25 outlaw and we usually head to the same places and his routine is just as efficient as mine, people see us roll in and think its gonna be a long wait and we are in and out of the ramp in minutes! heck we see people with a single jet ski take 5 times longer to launch then we do!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Yes sir. Egret bay blvd launch. If its not the fisherman it's the azzholes on wave runners making waves.
exactly where I put in!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree! It makes me furious when I see a truck back down the ramp (after sitting for 15 minutes waiting!) THEN, everyone gets out, mills around for a few minutes THEN they start loading everything from towels, to coolers, and whatever! The WHOLE damn crew sits in the truck LOOKING at the boats in line. By the time the GF and I are backing down the ramp, it's a quick down, boat floats, I start up and back away. I don't have to say a thing. She can SEE when I'm backing out and she pulls up the ramp and parks. The retrieve is just as fast. She backs down till the top bunk is wet, stops, I come forward and hit the bunks, get within 4-5 ft of the winch, climb over the front, hook the winch, pull it up snug and go back and shut off the motors, she sees me thumbs up and it's up the ramp to a spot AWAY from others trying to retrieve their boats and we unload what we need to. 1-2 minutes tops!

Last edited by CrownHawg; 05-21-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

One of the best investments for new boaters... get yourself 2 extendable floating "Boat Hooks". These can be used if you are just a little too far away from the dock to hook the cleats and pull yourself in as well as push yourself away. These will save your wife from having to jump onto the dock and tie ropes or from having to lean between the boat and dock to push away. Trust me, they will be used all of the time until you are both familiar with how everything moves and goes.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
One of the best investments for new boaters... get yourself 2 extendable floating "Boat Hooks". These can be used if you are just a little too far away from the dock to hook the cleats and pull yourself in as well as push yourself away. These will save your wife from having to jump onto the dock and tie ropes or from having to lean between the boat and dock to push away. Trust me, they will be used all of the time until you are both familiar with how everything moves and goes.
"boat hooks" you mean stupid sticks right???

J/K
Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

and on a serious note please remember to train everyone that the boat always wins VS bones, my wife a wily veteran tried keeping two boats apart and broker her ankle two years ago, not cool, and she knew better
Old 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Registered

How'bout this weekend? With a busy lake or any water for that matter, is "earlier better" for launching on a holiday?

Im sure its going to be nuts.

I like the gaff hook idea. It would have saved me the agony of falling off the bow of the boat one time while trying to lassau the dock cleat. Somehow my running watch got stripped off when it happened (wasnt cheap). Luckily no one was around for that one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.