Notices

No wake time...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wake time...

I live on a smaller lake that has wake restrictions after sunset... I have almost never putted around after that time... Some nights I work late and want to get out on the lake for a cruise. Does it do any harm to a small block v8 (1997 volvo Gxi) to just idle around for an hour or two and never really open the boat up? It would be no wake from key on to key off... Sorta dumb question but going slow for long is not in my vocabulary. Rob
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Registered

'harm', not really. But it does keep the engine in a different mode of operation than it was specifically designed for and therefore does have side effects. Your temps and psi's don't reach the nominal values that the engine was developed around. You'll see carbon buildup, increased wear in certain areas, etc. But at the same time it's easier on components. You could probably just as easily make the argument that it's better for your engine.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

the GXi should have 160 t-stat, so should get warmer then carbed engine. OK, no wake or speed restriction, reason is some boats can do 50mph and leave no to very little wake, compared to some boats that will make you think tsunami is coming.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Default Imo

The effects one way or the other would be so minimal that you would never know. I always think that the manufacture (in this case Volvo) put millions of $ into R+D to make these things work properly under all conditions, from idle to WOT.

If it's EFI no worries at all, if carbed you may want to just give it a little rev now and again to clean it out.

This is assuming that the engine is in good working order now.

Go for it, what a great way to wind down.......and don't worry at all about your boat.