Like Tree0Likes

Magothy River (MD) is LOW!!

Old 06-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Scorpion 32 CC
Default Magothy River (MD) is LOW!!

The Magothy (MD) was LOOOOW yesterday. Crusing along (27 kts) and swung about 20 yds south of Bouy #9 (Ulmstead) to give a nice wide berth to a tacking sail boat ... and ran aground. Checked the GPS and I was dead on the tracks from just a couple days earlier.

An hour waiting for a tow boat (helped push the guy who was going to stop and see if "I" needed help off the ground, his boat was a lot smaller) and a nice wallet lightening and the boat was back on the lift. Was able to back-flush the mud from the pickups, clean the strainers, and it looks like nothing was hurt. It was a nice soft bottom. and put a real nice polish job on the props. Not even any decernable scratches in the bottom gel, just removed a little of the "tea" stains from the keel.

In retrospect I wonder if I could have made it through if I didn't slow down, only the bottom 2" of the skegs had the paint removed. When I felt it slow down though I thought it had dropped an engine, so killed the throttles. With the drives up it would have needed about 3" more water for me to float it off, but at 12,000# 3" into the sand was a little more than I could manage by hand. Walked through knee deep water to the tow boat to pull 1100' of tow line out to reach me (his 4' draft couldn't even get close).

Oh well, I have to work today (Sunday) so guess it can't cost me anymore for this weekend anyway.

-Greg
Old 06-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

My Boats: 99 checkmate 270 convincor

greg sorry to hear this. must have been one of those super low days. we had one of those last year and i saw three boats run aground behind the island in about 1/2 hour. hope everything turns ok when you flush out.

Rob
Old 06-30-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Scorpion 32 CC

Rob - Thanks. Once I cleaned it on the lift the pumps came back online, so I think they are ok. Will have to take it out for a short check run to see if any grit got past to eat an impeller, but even worst case a couple new impellers and repaint on the drives is about it.

Then of course there is explaining to my daughter, who was out on my father-in-laws sail boat and passed by me on their way back in, why I went outside the bouy

-Greg
Old 06-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

GP,
Glad to hear everything is going to be OK. I think many of us have been there before, although most hate to admit it.

A couple years ago, I went through 3 inches of glass flat water on my Polaris SS Runabout (PWC), at 60mph. It was risky, and I was dumb to try it. I made it, my buddy on the Kawi behind me followed my wake and laid his 1100 right down in the rocks, and eliminated his impellor and jetpump. That was probably one of the most horrible sounds I have ever heard on the water.