Notices

Rod Bolts...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
5400ish

That isn't too much, Have you ever over revved it? if so, how long before this? otherwise I'd guess that one of the parts didn't get heat treated properly, A hardness test proving it may get you some new stuff. Have the parts tested and compared to the other (like) parts and see, anything is possible...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah its a pretty bad feeling. I thought I had good parts, but the old builder said I had the Callies Chinese rods

The China factor can be problematic or nothing at all. The blue color on that rod is not good. There is something to consider with that color.

I see that 6.385 so I take it your 1/4 stroked? I have "H" beam rods in my stroker.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.375 stroke
limiters are set a 6000
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
That isn't too much, Have you ever over revved it? if so, how long before this? otherwise I'd guess that one of the parts didn't get heat treated properly, A hardness test proving it may get you some new stuff. Have the parts tested and compared to the other (like) parts and see, anything is possible...

3 hours
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by commandersander
I did this once.....

O N C E......

Plastigauge and mixed two up. (6/8).....

It started screaming at about 3500 on the first pull.....too late.....

That rod was either meant for another hole, or it had NO oil...that cap is bluuuuuue

Sucks bad, I know. I think I'm having a bit more of an in-depth discussion with the builder.......

I didn't take it back to the original builder, it took over two years the first time around. I want to try and make it for the Lake Lanier poker run.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

With the way the housing bore looks i very seriously doubt the rod bolt is what broke first and caused your problem. More than likely the bearing let go first and as a result the bolt looks the way it does. Maybe just a personal preference/opinion but the compstar rods arent really the rod of choice for a Blown marine application. Also it appears by looking at rod/stroke combination that this must be in a short deck block? Thats a pretty short compession height piston for an application like this. Im sure others may agree or dissagree just my .002
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by commandersander
I did this once.....

O N C E......

That rod was either meant for another hole, or it had NO oil...that cap is bluuuuuue

Wow on the blue, mega heat. An assembly issue seems probable.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compstar rods are strong enough for 800hp and 6000 rpms. They also come standard with ARP 2000 rod bolts. I doubt if it was the fault of the rod or the bolts. The bearing spun and the rod eventually grabbed the crank and that's when the bolts let go. What caused it is most likely a bearing clearence issue, poor oiling or detonation pounded out the bearing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was clearly excessive heat there, that bolt did not just fail for no reason! I would agree with Masch's observations as well. Although as long as the rod swere in spec, I would say they should be more than fine for a basic blower build... I just wouldn't spin them to the moon.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

more pics
you spun a bearing first,,thats where the blue came from then the rod cap gave out from beating on the crank then the rest is history,,if it were me i would get a complete rotating assembly but with oliver rods

show a pic of a good rod bearing and what mfr name is of the bearing..part numbers woud help also..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.