Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lawyers!!  Please help with clarification Please >

Lawyers!! Please help with clarification Please

Notices

Lawyers!! Please help with clarification Please

Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god knows its easier to hold law abiding citizens under excessive laws then to perform real law enforcement. the majority of people cited, results from questioning overbearing enforcement. just read article again, civilians and journalists arrested then released for video taping cops on duty.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
So maybe I missed it, but where can you go get an actual zoning map? Anyone know?
You can get it from the agency that has declared it a refuge area. You can often get them from the Coast Guard, too.

If you think you are going to get hassled or have been hassled for being in a area that is not part of the refuge area, I would call the Sargeant of the enforcing agency, and ask for clarification. Tell the sargeant you have a copy of the statute, and if you were told to leave, you would like to know why. I would also get the badge number and name of the officer who told you to leave. Have the telephone number of the Sargeant with you on the water. I would leave, and not argue with the officer, but immediately call the Sargeant after leaving. Once it is cleared up, ask that the officer be informed by radio, get the Sargeant's name, and then return to the area. If the officer comes back, say you just got off the phone with Sargeant So-and-So, and he approved you to come back.

The key is to appear cooperative and business like the entire time. Don't argue, raise your voice, etc. Otherwise, they think they are dealing with an idiot. Smart people win this game.

Michael
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Look like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the agency.

Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge

I didn't see anything on their website about Sugar Island or the boundaries/land use restrictions for the island. You would have to contact them. Get any regulations in writing.

Michael
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todayone
And so right now there we've the item : the mended with reasonably priced winter http://www.onlysunglassesuk.co.uk/Di...unglasses.html months time of year
Hey, F-ing Retard Spammer. Seriously learn how to form a sentence that actually makes sence!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by low_psi
Ok, so recently the National Wildlife refuge purchased a small island a lot of us locals used during the summer as a place to picnic, throw horse shoes, etc. Anyway they have now designated it as a wildlife refuge and have posted signs on the island that state, unauthorized access is prohibited. So given this how far into the water can they actually enforce this? I was anchored off a few yards from the island today in about waist deep water and was told by a federal agent that I was trespassing and that he can enforce this to the middle part of the shipping channel. Naturally I got a bit of an attitude with him, as to say you can enforce a no trespass hundreds of yards away all the way into a shipping channel, just sounds ridiculous..... So my question for all of you legal types, what is the actual distance they can enforce a no trespass on a federally owned island in the Detroit River? Can they enforce all the way out to the shipping channel or to the water line? Also where can I find this in writing? While I told the officer I thought he was full of $hit, I don't know the full extent of this law so to argue it with him wouldn't be smart either..... Any info you guys can lend would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
I normally charge a fee for this, but this one's on the house (lol). In my experiences you cant own water. Your anchor was down, so you're already guilty. But if you're not touching bottom in any way, shape, or form, you're not tresspassing. But, with that said, if you're dealing with jackasses, they will come up with some phantom charge that will just make your life more difficult. You will eventually beat the charge, but it will be a pain in the ass. The world needs dickheads, if not, how would we know who the good people are. Stay thirsty my friends
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...c727965636.txt
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered

I am so FREAKIN SICK of the a$$ clown Grosse Ile Police Chief using the "Boat Burnings" as one of the problems associated with the public use of the island. There hasn't been a boat burning party in over 10 years. I have a feeling the so called "public hearing" is going to be a bunch of "in one ear and out the other" BS. I will certainly attend, with a video camera to document EVERYTHING that is said.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

oh yeah another statement by that A-Hole Police Chief is this one:
“Sugar Island has a long history of illegal activity and has been a hub of delinquency and misconduct for years. Issues involving noise complaints and underage drinking are common, and more serious incidents of assault and battery and criminal sexual conduct have occurred.”

They or He is trying to paint the picture that this was a giant rave party and the island is littered with needles. Where no female is safe.

Look, illegale drug use happens everywhere, not just sugar island. To my knowledge there was one sexual assult a few years back (I do not know the details, so I won't make assumptions), however that is another situation that could happen at a park, parking lot, etc. Underage drinking? Really? I guess that only happens at Sugar Island...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I see your point and it sucks when something gets closed off to the public but something you do need to remember is it was NEVER actually legal for you to go there to begin with, its just the previous PRIVATE owner was lax in keeping you off so you got away with it. Here's example's of something similar , My ex's parents bought 20 acres 50 miles north of your area, built a 2500 square foot house in the middle, come hunting season the locals came back there and started setting up there hunting blind in there yard . When confronted they cried that they had been hunting there all there life, how could some one tell them they couldn't- easy, they didn't EVER have a legal right to go there, they just got away with trespassing for years even though Mi requires written permission (which they didn't have) and now the new owner WAS using it for there own exclusive use. I boat once or twice a year up to Cheboygan, on the river there is a cool little patch of beach big enough for 4 or 5 boats to park on one of the curves that is real popular, no house on shore near by on that side so you know you weren't in someones front yard . A couple years ago we go pulling up there, signs pounded in the ground every 5 feet-NEW OWNER< STAY OFF NO TRESPASSING , sucks , BUT it was privately owned (just like Sugar island was) and the previous owner just wasn't around and let us get away with it for years, it now has a new owner and he is refusing to let every one use it any longer, Smitty
You actually now have more of a chance of legally having access to it one day than you did before but with the way these gov't agency's are it looks like hunters are the only ones that will get to use it, sucks, definitely go to the hearing, sorry to hear it, Smitty
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankenstein
I normally charge a fee for this, but this one's on the house (lol). In my experiences you cant own water. Your anchor was down, so you're already guilty. But if you're not touching bottom in any way, shape, or form, you're not tresspassing. But, with that said, if you're dealing with jackasses, they will come up with some phantom charge that will just make your life more difficult. You will eventually beat the charge, but it will be a pain in the ass. The world needs dickheads, if not, how would we know who the good people are. Stay thirsty my friends
Good thing you aren't charging today, because in most cases it's where you are that determines if you are trespassing... Not whether you touch bottom, or land, or anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.