Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then.... >

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Notices

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

I look at the weather. Jeez, you poor guys up there.
Spent my 1st 47 yrs up there and after moving down here my plan was to buy/keep a 2nd boat up there and fly up for the weekends in the Summer. Came very close to pulling the trigger last yr.
So I watch their weather for this weekend and on one of the websites it says the forecast for Friday is for temps in mid/high 70's. Actual temps............., low 50's! Oh yeah, w/a 20 - 25 MPH wind and 4' - 6' waves! (Lake Erie)
Click on the same site for today, identical forecast! Yikes.
It's one thing towing the 2 1/2 hrs from Columbus to the lake to find it way rougher/different than forecast but to fly from here to Columbus, and then tow 2 1/2 hrs to find that......yikes!
I feel for all my brothers up there.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-02-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Don't feel bad for us. Monday was 95* and 2 footers on St. Clair. NOAA said zero wave height on Erie. Sorry about all your rainy days down there.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya this is a planned rain weekend so we can save some gas money
Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Spent my 1st 47 yrs up there and after moving down here my plan was to buy/keep a 2nd boat up there and fly up for the weekends in the Summer. Came very close to pulling the trigger last yr.
So I watch their weather for this weekend and on one of the websites it says the forecast for Friday is for temps in mid/high 70's. Actual temps............., low 50's! Oh yeah, w/a 20 - 25 MPH wind and 4' - 6' waves! (Lake Erie)
It's one thing towing the 2 1/2 hrs from Columbus to the lake to find it way rougher/different than forecast but to fly from here to Columbus, and then tow 2 1/2 hrs to find that......yikes!
ya learn to live with it lol to tell the truth i dont know if i could handle being in an area where i could boat all year long. Heck i need the winter to fix all the stuff i broke in the summer. I really do love the boating up here in Erie, born an raised on it and wouldnt have it any other way. (although i suppose i could get use to that azure blue water in the keys if i had to lol)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dont forget the 4'-6' waves are 15 foot apart,lol
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

I can't tell you how many times I checked the land/lake forecast from Cols before heading north, report was good and actual weather sucked when I got there!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Default Yeah, true dat!

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
dont forget the 4'-6' waves are 15 foot apart,lol
I've told some of my Lake Erie war stories to some of my Cracker buddies down here and they've left them w/jaws on floor.
We were out in the Atlantic a couple wks back in 4' - 6's and it wasn't fun but was bearable compared to 4' - 6's in Erie

Dave, 100% agreed. We have 365 season down here but I think I put more hrs on up there in a good season. One of my favorite trips up there is to leave Scudder on the north end of Pelee and watch it disappear over the horizon as Leamington Ontario just starts to come into view ahead of us.

Weather report I saw this morning said low water warning too due to wind coming out of the south. Lake Erie of course doesn't have a tide but I've seen 2' change in depth just due to wind.
My brother sent me pix's a few yrs back of part of PIB harbor being dry and boats sitting on the hard.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I think id rather take occasional bad weather over everyday salt water any day of the week.
The Indiana side is pretty calm most of the time till you get to the end of the season thou.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend sucks.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I checked the land/lake forecast from Cols before heading north, report was good and actual weather sucked when I got there!
Lol. That's what happened last weekend too. We get up to Sandusky at noon weather is nice. Hot not to much wind NOAA calling for 2ft or less then I had an problem with the boat didnt end up getting it in the water until 3:00. I start to head out forecast still says waves 2 ft or less which was complete BS it had felt liked it dropped 15 degrees and the wind picked up. We get out about a 1/2 mile feom the bay and turned around the NOAA's 2 ft or less was more like 3-5 right off my bow. I was soaked. Ended up spending the rest of the day in the bay and went out Monday to the islands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.