Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to get?? Looking to get back into the game! >

What to get?? Looking to get back into the game!

Notices

What to get?? Looking to get back into the game!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What to get?? Looking to get back into the game!

Its been about 5 years since Ive been into boats... At the time it was a 28' Cigarette SS and prior to that a Baja Force 265... nothing to extravagant, but good cruisers...

I want to get back out there though and am leaning towards something a little bit smaller and faster this time... looking for some advice on what to look for.

I am going to be mostly out in the Barnegat Bay, NJ... where I'd say its flat occasionally regularly a 2-3' chop. Looking for something that I wont get beat up on too much. Id like to get something that tops out at least ~65 and can cruise nice around 35. Looking to be under $20k powered with or without trailer. Prefer something with a cabin and room for a portapotty unless Im getting something really sweet like a Skater/Superboat/Other high end performance boat.
Anything I should be looking for generally, or not looking at!?

I found a nice Skater 24 with 225s for $17k, but even though in the description it details the motors, for that price I kind of doubt its with power... If so, how would something like that handle 2-3' chop at cruising speeds?

I also have seen a lot of Bajas as they seem to be available easily and at right prices, but not sure how the different size/model combos handle the chop and speeds im looking for.24 Baja Outlaw 454 or 502 (I know this is a great rough water boat, no?)
23 Baja Boss 232 454
22 Baja Hammer 454
20 Baja Outlaw
20 Baja Hotshot
27 Baja Shooter 502/415hp

Another boat I found I kinda dig is a 1977 24 Superboat with a 496 (3hrs since rebuild), Race Drive and Merc Trans... Guessing a TRS setup? Lathum Steering, shifter and gauges, Full Dry custom exhaust, Torsion bar, K planes, & Daul Axle Alum. I Beam Trailer with Disk Brakes. Interior and everything looks clean in the pics...
Old but cheap at 10.9k

Some of the other boats im leaning towards are:
26 Sutphen Rum Runner 2 - 2.5 200hps
24 Superboat w/ twin OBs (What will this with twin 200s run and handle chop?)
22 Scarabs 350mag (Speed/Handle?)
22 Avanti 350mag
21 - 26' Checkmates, various models (So many out there, but dont know jack about these, any good, speeds, handles?)
21 Superboat Legend

Any comments, suggestions, advice, etc is really appreciated!
Thanks... Chris
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the ones you list I would look to Sutphen first. They have a reputation of building great rough-water boats. The 26 would be a good length for that kind of water. Superboat is another good rough water boat.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Of the ones you list I would look to Sutphen first. They have a reputation of building great rough-water boats. The 26 would be a good length for that kind of water. Superboat is another good rough water boat.
Thanks for the follow-up... I got an email back on the Sutphen today, and only 10 hours since rebuild... Trailer has a frozen caliper, but he has a new one... Hopefully he is replacing it before selling.
Hes going to get me better pics ASAP apparently. Right now all ive seen is poor digital photos of actual 35mm camera photos.

What are your/everyones thoughts on an old '77 Superboat 24 with a 496 rebuilt recently, "Merc Trans & Race Drive"
Also, the smaller 21ft Superboats? Look to be a bit lower profile into the water, how are they in the chop?

What about the plethora of Bajas?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Registered

TTT, any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running my Baja Hammer on the South Shore of Long Island which is about the same as the description you gave for where you'll be running. I had a 454 in it and with that, it ran about 62-64. Re powered with a 383 Mag Stroker and it's running 65 any day of the week now, so that's about the speed your looking for. Cruises nicely at 35 on the bay. Handles the chop pretty well, obviously going out when it's really windy is gonna get a bit nasty but it's not that bad. The cabin is enough to store a good amount of beach stuff in, I'm not sure about a porta-potti. The cabin also isn't closed so I really don't think that would work too well.

Saw it was on your list so I thought I'd put some input in. Good luck to ya!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

here is a 1984 Superboat asking $19,900 (I do not know the boat or seller_, I think any of the 24'-28' long boats would be great for the bay (Pantera, Superboat, Baja Oulaw) and in your price range

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=1454&url= or

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis..._id=68571&url=

and a 1997 24' Outlaw in NJ close to your price range

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis..._id=13824&url=

I like this Magnum the best, that would be a great Barnegat Bay boat looks good too, priced very reasonably, haing boated in a 27' Magnum for almost 19 years, but with any of these used boats the ads look good, but when you get there it may be another story (rot, or damage), the joys of boat shopping

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19.../United-States

Good luck
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bimini run
I've been running my Baja Hammer on the South Shore of Long Island which is about the same as the description you gave for where you'll be running. I had a 454 in it and with that, it ran about 62-64. Re powered with a 383 Mag Stroker and it's running 65 any day of the week now, so that's about the speed your looking for. Cruises nicely at 35 on the bay. Handles the chop pretty well, obviously going out when it's really windy is gonna get a bit nasty but it's not that bad. The cabin is enough to store a good amount of beach stuff in, I'm not sure about a porta-potti. The cabin also isn't closed so I really don't think that would work too well.

Saw it was on your list so I thought I'd put some input in. Good luck to ya!
Thanks for the input bimini run... Doesnt sound too bad, I will definitely look into it some more. Overall, how is a Hammer different than an Outlaw?

Originally Posted by Smarty
here is a 1984 Superboat asking $19,900 (I do not know the boat or seller_, I think any of the 24'-28' long boats would be great for the bay (Pantera, Superboat, Baja Oulaw) and in your price range

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...g_id=1454&url= or

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis..._id=68571&url=

and a 1997 24' Outlaw in NJ close to your price range

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis..._id=13824&url=

I like this Magnum the best, that would be a great Barnegat Bay boat looks good too, priced very reasonably, haing boated in a 27' Magnum for almost 19 years, but with any of these used boats the ads look good, but when you get there it may be another story (rot, or damage), the joys of boat shopping

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19.../United-States

Good luck

Thanks for links Smarty... That Magnum is pretty bad azz, but a little more boat than I am looking for at 27' and twin I/Os... Though the price isnt bad, but add in the fact its in Fla kinda a tought sell.
Same with those Superboats, love'em but in both in FL.

Ive found another 24 Superboat, but its a 1977... Its got a 500ci, 496ci .060 over, supposedly ~650hp and runs mid-high 80s all day, capable of 90. Merc 71c trans and Race Master Speed Drive by Stern Power (both rebuilt by Jims Performance in Ohio... Couldnt find any info on the shop?) Boat has apparently been completely built up over 3 yrs, hull is apparently solid, interior new... Sounds like a great deal other the paint/name design thats painted on and the age. What would you guys think about this Superboat? Anything to look for?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corsa!!! Got one with your name on it!!! Chris, I sent you a PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike A.
Corsa!!! Got one with your name on it!!! Chris, I sent you a PM.
PM replied to...