Notices

define "cruise speed"

Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the question is now do I buy 30" props and have them worked as needed or have the current 28's worked.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I usually cruise between 3000-3700 rpms. Less than 3000, the boat feels sluggish and need to run a little extra tab. Above 3700 it starts to burn the fuel and the engines begin to get into the torque band.

3300 I'm runnin low 50's and @ 3600-3700 I'm running low 60's.

When the kids aren't on the boat I'm usually running 36-3700 because the boat takes a really nice set and I get the fastest cruise speed with reasonable fuel economy. When the kids are on the boat, I keep it between 3K - 3300 which is upper 40's to low 50's.

Frank
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I think a better way to phrase the question is; "What is YOUR cruise speed?"

For instance, a number of years ago I was having dinner with my friend Bart who owned a Formula with tripple 500 efi's.

At dinner I asked him what does he usually cruise at? His answer, after a few cocktails was; "Cruise speed? I put it sticks to the wood, that's cruising!"

As you man summize, Bart has a lot more disposable income than I do...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
They are the question is now do I buy 30" props and have them worked as needed or have the current 28's worked.
Call Brett at Bblades: http://www.bblades.com/

Just make sure you have accurate GPS speed #'s and rpm's, may be worth checking rpm's with a digital gauge off the #1 wires or something, though the stock tachs in your boat are most likely pretty good.

He will know what to do from there, he also has some type of test and tune deal. It will cost you some money in shipping stuff back and forth, but you'll know you are optimally propped when you are done. But knowing him, he'll know right what to do right out of the box.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 07-06-2012 at 12:56 PM.