Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone going to Lake hopatcong NJ this weekend (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27926-anyone-going-lake-hopatcong-nj-weekend.html)

boot 07-03-2002 01:10 AM

Anyone going to Lake hopatcong NJ this weekend

I am going there for the first time . Staying at the Comfort suites Friday and Saturday night .Taking my tiny 16'er . Probably regret it . Anything I should know about the place . Just want to cruise and site see and maybe stop and hang out at a few good places . Are there any ? THanks ,JOE

Tonto 07-03-2002 01:17 AM

Look for my buddy Walter, 382 Formula.
Robert

DanL 07-03-2002 11:48 AM

he's way out of his element on that lake. most of the docks are 20ft with rings for your lines. Can't miss it. We tore up Sobe a few years ago together. He helped Becca buy a few "small" pieces of clothing.

boot 07-03-2002 11:48 AM

Thanks Tonto, I wonder what the water is like . Am I going to get beet up in a 16'er ? I'll keep an eye out for Walter . THanks

Philip 07-03-2002 12:19 PM

Lk Hop.

Hi Boot, be careful there. the water is very shallow out of the chanel, and most of the obstructions are very hard. tree stumps, rocks etc. There is also a speed limit, I am not sure just what the speed limit is, 35 MPH I think. The last time I was on that lake I dropped the Skater in the water, in a matter of a few minutes there was a Top Gun, and a few cats running alongside me, all of us going pretty slow. The marine police were also in the pack, waiting of one of the boats to start to run fast. The ticket book was also out I am sure. A few hours later, we were just drifting around in the middle, I saw a small boat, maybe a 20' or so starting to take water over the transom, and going down fast, We dialled 911, went over to lend help, took the people onboard, and waited 25 or 30 minutes for the MP to show up. They were more then likely still following the fast boats around the lake waiting for to write a speeding ticket.
Philip

CigDaze 07-03-2002 12:22 PM

Growing up in N. Joisey, I have many fond memories of Lake Hopatcong...

But Phillip is right, the cops suck there(not akin to good cops, these guys can be *******s) and we chewed up many of props during the summers.

NJScarab 07-03-2002 12:28 PM

I'm there every weekend! On the weekends there is a 35 mph speed limit, but during the week there is none. I'll be out there in a 22 sea ray being that I just sold the scarab.......
Byram bay aka bikini cove, is the place to tie up and party.
Tidal wave is the night life place.
Warehouse grill is the best food.
The Jefferson House is the happy hour place.
You'll have fun just watch the cops, whats your boat look like so I can keep an eye out.

onemomoto 07-03-2002 12:56 PM

Hey man im on the lake also , im between the jefferson house rest.& the windless rest. stop by & ill fill you in on things. I dont know whats up with the police but they have bin really cool of late. look for us on our boat house [32 skater on the wips outside called NAUTI-CAT 2& a 31 awsome cat called STRAY-CAT in the boat house] THE BEER IS KEEPED AT 33 DEGRESSSSS !!!:D :D :D

tripps 07-03-2002 11:05 PM

do they still have that apba race in september? alot of hot boats in the great south bay by us,alot ofemm happy 4th tripps

boot 07-04-2002 12:27 AM

Hey thanks everyone for the info . You guys better look out for me ! Don't run me over !! I'll be in a little tiny ,all white ,low profile , 16' ski boat (Cacci Craft ) with a BIG Evinrude on the back . Sticker says 85 hp but it lies !! :D Me and my better half will be up there in the area around 1 or 2 on Thursday . Staying at the comfort suites through Saturday night . I thought we would go to the lake to not be embarassed in the little thing while my cat is down . I figured it would just be a bunch of ski boats and we would blend in . I geuss There is no hiding from the OSO !

Where is the fire works going to be and when ?
Where is the best place to launch my little toy ? We will be staying on Howard Blvd. If you see us flag us down . The boat looks like a white surf board with a motor . WHere can I get a map of the lake ? Thanks again for everything . See you all there .

JOE & SANDY

Semper Fi 07-04-2002 01:18 AM

Baja Daze and NJ Scarab.............

Baja Daze,
Where did you grow up in North Jersey? I grew up in Morristown, graduated from Morristown High in '96.

NJ Scarab,
Are you from Lake Hopatcong? If so.. do you know Lou Cintron? He graduated Hopatcong high around '97. He is a buddy of mine that owns a deli there near the lake.

NJScarab 07-04-2002 01:38 AM

If comfort sweets gives u **** about having a trailor you can keep it at my house, I got 2 acres and live 250 ft. from a ramp. If you want to hang call me,973-663-8366
Mike

boot 07-04-2002 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike ! My cell is 908-963-2513 if any body wants it . Here is a shot of my ride so you can spot me .
Oh , Look at that cool cat with the friggin shrink wrap still on it !!:mad: Oh well ,some day ............

boot 07-04-2002 10:11 AM

Hey onemomoto, If I had known you had a spare boat I would have rented yours !!
:D Would have saved me alot of hassel getting this one ready .

See you all there , I'm outa here !!:cool: JOE

onemomoto 07-05-2002 11:17 AM

Boot the 31 aw.cat is my friends but i will gladly rent it to you its even full of cam two. Just found out we are loading up & heading for the cesapec,chessapic,chessapec what ever,the water down south

boot 07-08-2002 08:59 AM

Too bad I didn't see you guys this weekend . njscarab ,I had your number with me and lost it . onemomoto , I cruised the hole lake and didn't see any cats . Tonto ,didn't see the Formula anywhere .

We went out about 2:00 on thursday and got a beeting !! It was rough and burning hot . We came back in and went 'shopping '! (Got to keep her happy :D ) Friday we were on the lake by 6:00am ! Had a nice ride and hung out on the north east end and did some swimming went in by about noon and saturday we were back out by 6:30 am. Checked out every inch of the lake . The water was flat .Looked like a nice 38 cig on the lower end of the lake . Once it got to be about noon everyday it was just too rough for the little boat . It was a nice place to visit .

If any of you can fine me a place that I can launch my big cat (39'x12') I would appreciate it . I asked around a lot and came up with nothing . Most ramps are too steep and short or narrow , and no one seems to have a lift big enough . I would love to come up again but I am bringing the big boat and I'll need a couple of you to show me around ! I don't want to take chances with damaging the big boat . The little one I'm not so conserned about (it's cheaper to fix ):D Thanks for all your replies . We had a good time and want to come back . Let me know if there is a way to launch my big boat .

Thanks ,JOE [email protected]

East Coast B 08-08-2005 10:35 AM

Re: Anyone going to Lake hopatcong NJ this weekend

Anyone ever find a nice level ramp for launching bigger boats? I'm looking to head up that way and our group has several boats in the 30+ range.

Appreciate your help!!!

Can you stay overnight on Hopatcong lake??

Ing 08-08-2005 06:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For all the big guys I think you'll be disappointed after making any kind of trek to run 35mph with all the local nuts on Lake H. I saw the large Formula and a Fountain this weekend. Didn't look like much fun for them. My suggestion is try a week night if possible or hit the Hudson, Finger Lakes or Oneida Lake in upstate NY. Most of the local performance boaters run on the weeknights when the speed limit is not in effect. The water 5 O has definately lightened up enforcing the 35 weekend limit. The lakes obstructions are pretty well marked by the State with floating barrels and are close to shore but if you do hit one it's probably a rock. I live in Elba Point and hang out at the Beach Club on your right as your heading toward the Tidal Wave in the River Styx. I'll ask around about sleeping overnight and the better launches. I don't know of any Hotels on the water with slips. Pics are of my last boat. Waiting patiently for my new ride to be completed. Good Luck and hope to see you around.

Sam Spade 08-08-2005 06:52 PM

Hampton Inn at exit 37 on I 80 is nice. Friendly staff. I usually go to the races held there in May.

East Coast B 08-09-2005 06:17 AM

We're ok with the speed limit, looking for something with dockside eats and drinks and marina where we can stay on the boat. We're from North of Allentown and just looking for something different to do.

How is the ramp at the state park? Looking for a ramp that isn't steep and has parking for truck and trailer.

chaparral 2550sx 06-19-2007 09:58 PM

lake H 2007

how are things at the lake this year?

21 Hustler 06-19-2007 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just got my Hustler 25 talon and are rockin out on the lake every weekend. i have noticed that with the high gas prices there are a lot more sea doo's and patio boats, i guess b/c they are cheaper to run. but im still blasting around

bgchuby01 06-20-2007 05:38 AM

gerard, I am taking a 36 skater to lake hopatcong next week. I have not been there since the mid 60's with my dad

chaparral 2550sx 06-20-2007 07:21 AM

you can't run that fast on weekends, there is a 35 MPH limit on weekends....

hunster 06-20-2007 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Used to go there with the hydrostream. Kinda like the previous post , put 150 stickers on the 235 to keep the po po happy with my capacity plate on the transom. Never a speed limit back then and as soon as I'd show a rooster boats would be all over me looking to run. Was a fun time . Remember some good spots on the water for food and drink. 35 mph sounda like pontoon paradise now!

21 Hustler 06-20-2007 10:24 AM

if you go out later in the day when the lake empties out and are careful you can get some good short high speed blasts

chaparral 2550sx 06-20-2007 05:09 PM

ya for sure!!!! or go out during the week...

81hydrostream 06-27-2007 12:11 PM

Very cool photo of the stream. Got pulled over by the cops this past weekend and written for 34 over. But the ticket was only for $49.00

21 Hustler 06-27-2007 03:07 PM

hey thanks 81 hydrostream...that cop saw me in the main lake and stopped and turned towards me, i coulda sworn i was gonna get pulled over. then on my way back home i see the cop sitting right in front of my house prob waiting for me...then you come up from behind rooster tail and all...sorry you got pulled over, but i think you saved me in a way...i was in the 25 hustler talon cat

81hydrostream 06-27-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 21 Hustler (Post 2179196)
hey thanks 81 hydrostream...that cop saw me in the main lake and stopped and turned towards me, i coulda sworn i was gonna get pulled over. then on my way back home i see the cop sitting right in front of my house prob waiting for me...then you come up from behind rooster tail and all...sorry you got pulled over, but i think you saved me in a way...i was in the 25 hustler talon cat

No problem. The ticket was so cheap it it just makes me laugh. I'm glad that he did not get me before in the main part of the lake was going much faster.

Ray

chaparral 2550sx 06-27-2007 09:56 PM

seams they where pulling one after the other over by the cove....Did you see the guy with the 38 foot Miami vice boat?

BTW do you get points on the Dl for speeding on the lake???

81hydrostream 06-28-2007 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by chaparral 2550sx (Post 2179762)
seams they where pulling one after the other over by the cove....Did you see the guy with the 38 foot Miami vice boat?

BTW do you get points on the Dl for speeding on the lake???

No points just a fine. The only ticket that carries over to your drivers license is a DWI.

Reckless32 06-28-2007 08:02 AM

You're kidding me right? There's a lake named "hopatcong"??? Sounds like something in Thailand...:p

21 Hustler 06-28-2007 10:41 AM

you guys just wait til my cousin puts his 36 skater with twin 900's on the lake this saturday...state police will not be too happy then

chaparral 2550sx 06-28-2007 10:04 PM

coool! is it faster then the triple outboard skater...I hear it does about a 128......hey hustler, u going out for the fireworks???

21 Hustler 06-29-2007 09:30 AM

yes it will be faster than the tripps...boat goes around 140...i should be around during the fireworks, but dont know if the hustler will make its way out. WE usually have to start up and move the boat 3 feet every 10 minutes to avoid drifting into other boats...the hustler is LOUD and dont want to make any little kids cry by starting it up in their faces every 10 min...the sea ray may be the ticket

chaparral 2550sx 06-29-2007 01:10 PM

ya know what you mean about the drifting into others!!! just hope it does not rain like last year!!!

I have switchables for exhaust.....

chaparral 2550sx 07-01-2007 01:14 PM

Hey 21 Hustler, how did Cuz make out on the lake yesterday?

21 Hustler 07-01-2007 03:45 PM

The boat went in today...and is rockin out

chaparral 2550sx 07-01-2007 10:15 PM

Didn't get out this weekend, but will be out Tue. night for the fireworks....