Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Prop selection issues   HELP PLEASE >

Prop selection issues HELP PLEASE

Notices

Prop selection issues HELP PLEASE

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I know my thread is old and I haven't had much in fact no updates in almost a year. lift ofr me has been busy with new baby and work and I have not done as much on water time as I would like. But I did get a new prop over the winter and have enough time on to leave some feedback. I tried a Hill marine signature 5 19pitch 5 blade. and so far I fairly happy with the prop. my top end speed is about 49 at 4600 and my cruising speed is about 30 at 3300. at WOT the boat feels nice and level with water and feel up on top and actually out of the water where before it felt low and in the water. the bow at cruising speed is a little higher pointed up than I like but it deems ride ok even over some chop if I use my tab to plant it back down a little.. of course that slows it down some but it sure makes the ride a lot nicer. I can trim more than before and once I get a nice cruising ride if I go to wide open you can feel the nose come down and the more proper running level. handles well in shape turns when tubing so all in all pretty happy for the 300 bucks slip number cruising are still a touch high I think at 25% . at WOT I am happy with the 11% slip there think that is about as good as it will get with the stk motor and the weight and hull shape. I need to call and see if we can shore up the middle number but more than likely anything done there will hurt the top end. any thought???
Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

If you have 25% slip with a 5-blade something is wrong I'd think. Sure you have the right drive ratio?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

I have a 3-Blade and I see WAY less than that and the Ballistic is fast. I change it out on trips to PIB since that prop turns way less cruise rpm. .4 mpg
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

And I just noticed you are seeing 11% WOT, that's good! Dumb mobile devices.