Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1994 Renken Bow rider. Anyone have any experiences with this?Im thinking of buying it >

1994 Renken Bow rider. Anyone have any experiences with this?Im thinking of buying it

Notices

1994 Renken Bow rider. Anyone have any experiences with this?Im thinking of buying it

Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold bolts to the engine...

....the riser bolts to the manifold and the riser clamps to the hose.

Basically check it out just like you would if you were buying your teenage daughter her first car. (now there is a good metaphor [assimilation])

Knowing full well there will be things you will need to address, you try to lessen those things to a minimum.

In the past I have bought some boats which were more than a bit on the rough side, but I felt good about them. There were others which seemed very good, but I just didn't feel comfortable with and passed. As long as you enter into it knowing full well you have done your best, there are no real surprises.

As for the engine; I think the 4.3 a good power plant. Has been on the market for years with plenty of good ones available at the salvage yards if needed and there are aftermarket parts available.

If you weren't where is does all those crazy things like snow and get cold, I might even offer to help! Did I mention dementia and I'm old?

Almost forgot this... http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...y-mistake.html

Last edited by BoatShow239; 07-03-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the tips. That defiantly helps a lot. I like that assimilation! Once I go over everything I will go with my gut feeling, if something doesn't seem right I will pass on it. Thanks for the offer to help! The snow is a really pain, Im ready to move to Florida haha. Also is there any other way to tell if a boat has a rotten transom besides pushing on it from the inside and making sure there is no soft spots.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered

Default Explaining a sound can be as...

...difficult as explaining a taste!

The transom can be tapped with a hard object and often the variation in sound can be an indicator, but it depends on many different factors and the sound can be very subtle.

I am usually more concerned with stringers than transoms and that is why it is well worth spending the money to have it surveyed.

I am sure you want insurance, and the survey would be a good base upon which to calculate an evaluation. Do not be so sure you are stealing the boat when the survey is two or three times what he seller is asking, that is the nature of surveys.

When you have it surveyed it takes a while to get the written report, but the surveyor will know on-the-spot about excessive moisture in the transom, stringers, bulkheads and decks.

In the add it says "Needs new upholstery for rear seating areas". Wood rot on a boat is like rust on a car. It can be very cancerous.

You might want to find out more about this one http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/3079482734.html
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Default So, what's the...

...word?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Im now the owner of the boat!! Well technically Saturday when I pick it up lol.. The transom was solid as well as floors. Everything is in really good condition except the seats in the very back which i could fix little by little. But mechanically everything is good! Thanks for all you help!