Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Apparently the resale market is H-O-T !! >

Apparently the resale market is H-O-T !!

Notices

Apparently the resale market is H-O-T !!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z
Used boat prices will continue to rise as there continues to be less new boats being bought and introduced into the boating scene.
Puhleeze...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I'll buy the beer anytime you want to discuss "whiny *****es" with me.
Sounds good, we can have the party on my boat.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Puhleeze...
I think he has somewhat of a point. How many people you see buying new boats? Increased demand on something that only gets smaller and smaller with time, used boats dont get remade.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
at least i buy the boats im bashing ...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 894 Likes on 485 Posts

A few points to consider:

1. Boat market is smaller due to less new boats being produced so that will seasonally spike the prices on mint used ones. Example: Buyer wants to go boating this summer, can't get a new boat but he/she will pay a premium for a nice used boat they can use this weekend.

2. Used boats no matter how nice aren't new and don't have warranty so the buyers may not want to pay a premium for a boat that could need a set of headers and a refresh on the drives in the first season of use. Late model 525 boats come to mind (all brands). Not too many buyers want to buy a boat for a premium and then dump 30K into it in headers/drive refreshes. I think Jeremy did this with AM2 but spent closer to 150K in the first year of ownership.

3. Boats are luxury items, can't be really compared to car market since you can drive your kid to school in an R8 Audi and then continue on to work. Cars are easily bought/sold through auctions or even Carmax type places. Market is small for boats, smaller for go fast boats.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I think he has somewhat of a point. How many people you see buying new boats? Increased demand on something that only gets smaller and smaller with time, used boats dont get remade.
I think the real question is how many people do you see buying boats period. Discretionary income is at an all time low and luxury items are the first to go. For every clown that jacks his price up thinking a boat is an appreciating asset there will be many that need to sell and will make a deal.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
at least i buy the boats im bashing ...

Touche', but it is NOT for lack of trying.

I bet I made more offers this year than even DREAMER has. And mine were real, actual, I will pay it offers.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CAFE
Agreed!!

Why do guys get on here and say this stuff!? If your interested ,(not a dreamer, tire kicker). Make an offer in person with cash in hand. If they reject , move on. Quit getting on here and telling everyone what their $$hit$ worth. It's OLD
+1. Lots of keyboard cowboys thought they knew what my boat was worth......... Even had some azzhat surveyor/captain/self-appointed expert from national liquidators that wanted my boat tried to tell me what it was worth....... I told him he didn't know jack chit about the value of the boat and to piss off. I didn't budge and it sold a month later................and the phone was jumping off the hook with other buyers. I sold it and bought a small boat the next day so yes I would agree that the used boat market is hot right now.

These boats take a lot of money to keep them running good. You don't get a free lunch in this sport. If you find a "good deal" 95% of time you just overlooked a major repair needed.