Notices

Starter Question

Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoatShow239
...is very sound, but I will add this.

From working on all sorts of boats for years and years, it is an outstanding percentage of any electrical problems comes from ground/connection issues.

One of the most overlooked maintenance areas on any boat are the electrical connections. While, in fact, you might have a starter or solenoid failure I would bet you a beer at akaboatman's beer pier you will also discover somewhere along the path there is a corroded or loose connection, if not even a questionable wire.

While many electrical components will still operate, they are operating at something less than full efficiency... and that creates heat and that will hasten failure.

As a general statement, any electrical component not operating under full power creates more heat and heat is almost as hard on electrical items as water.

All might be fine and it is a battery issue, but remember that failing battery will cause a drop in power, causing heat, causing failure.

I learned long ago, when you think you have found the main symptom in electric problems, keep going to see if you can discover why.

This is not to say a starter (or any electrical part) won't go bad just because it has gone bad.

Not long ago helped a friend work on a CC w/twin 250 Yamahas. Under the console at night. when the starboard engine was starting, the buss bar almost glowed blue. Every nut needed to be snugged.

If you do not charge at idle, I would field test the charging system, but just as likely there is a connection which needs inspected!
+1 I keep all of mine clean an spray with wd40. I live on a fresh water river but bring My boat to Destin alot. Artie