First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins >

First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins

Notices

First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins

Im looking into picking up a new (to me) boat in the near future and I am having a hard time deciding between two boats right now. Locally there is for sale the following 2 boats:

2001 Baja Outlaw 29'
-(2) 454s one with 126 hours and one with 205 hours

2007 Baja Outlaw 26'
-single 502 with 96hrs

Both boats can be had for the same price right now, and I cant get myself to pull the trigger on either one. All things equal between the boats, except engines, year and hours.

I absolutely want the larger boat, but am perfectly fine with a single engine. Having a hard time convincing myself on twice the maintenance and an increase in fuel consumption is worth two motors to get the extra 3'
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Registered

If Both can be had for the same price, Go for the Twins and the Larger Boat..just make sure you have them surveyed. There aren't many cases where Twin vs. Single where the Twin is the same price. It may have issues..or the owner didn't take care of the outside of the Boat..a real headache to replace seats/gel coat/hardware...but even worse if one of the motors is tore up. IMHO. You apparently have your heart set on a Baja Outlaw. I learned very quickly to have patience. I found everything I wanted/needed for my first boat..just couldn't find one in Red/White so I purchased the one that's Green and white and in a week, everything will be finished and I'll have EXACTLY what I wanted to start with. Ins5ead of planning to spend your entire Budget, maybe shop just a little Lower and save some $ for the Inevitable Repairs/Changes you're bound to encounter or desire?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered

Went through the same thing when I was looking. Decided on a 25', but already have an itch to go bigger. My future will be a ~35'. I also wanted a Baja at first, but after being on this site and actually looking around and reading up on a lot of threads, learned about all differences in makes, quality, etc... You may end up wanting something completely different. Like stickman said, be patient, look everything over and get a survey.

Last edited by sleev-les; 07-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for 29' with twins. There are few items that will happen knocking both engines out. You can limp back on one. Those 4 additional feet make a big difference in most seas you experience.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

You have to be honest with the amount of money you're willing to budget for boating and that'll help steer you. Without question the bigger boat is what most would go with and from my perspective I'll never go back to another single after owning twins.

However they are more expensive to maintain unless you're mechanically inclined and do the work yourself, even so you'll be spending more of your time wrenching, winterizing, maintaining if you're doing it yourself not to mention the added gas, props, drives and on and on. Boats break, that's their job and they do it well, you'll definitely be investing more time and money with twins.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1,844 Likes on 723 Posts
Default Agreed.

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Go for 29' with twins. There are few items that will happen knocking both engines out. You can limp back on one. Those 4 additional feet make a big difference in most seas you experience.
Most people that have a 24' - 26' w/a single are soon shopping for a 28' - 32' w/twins but you never hear of the opposite.
Pretty interesting comparison too. 6 yrs older to get more boat and twins. Yeah doing double the maintenance sucks but if they are solid now it's not bad.
I wish someone had taken me aside (not that I's have listened) and educated me on "PREVENTIVE" maintenance. I repowered w/two new in the box motors and then assumed because they were both under warranty that I could beat the bajesus out of them w/o taking care of them. They both lasted one yr out of warranty and then I started fixing/replacing everything and it got very expensive.
Establish that motors/drives are solid now and then start a religious preventive maintenance schedule. Faster/harder you run it the closer together those sessions will be.
At that level it's not much work and is way cheaper than corrective maintenance. Once you do it a few times it gets way easier/faster too. You'll be able to pull a drive, check for leaks and grease u-joints in 15 mins per.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on overnighting, running out on the big lake, have the money (to maintain and fuel) and have a truck that can tow it...twins are the way to go. my $.02
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,844 Likes on 723 Posts
Default 100% agreed.

Originally Posted by JRider
If you plan on overnighting, running out on the big lake, have the money (to maintain and fuel) and have a truck that can tow it...twins are the way to go. my $.02
If you're going to run Lake Michigan you'll be way happier w/the extra size and weight. Will be many times that you'd stay at dock in the smaller boat but could get away w/it in the bigger one.
Trust me on that one as I have a 24' .

Great 1st thread by the way.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-16-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Most people that have a 24' - 26' w/a single are soon shopping for a 28' - 32' w/twins but you never hear of the opposite.
Very Very True. I'm on the bay in RI and have had my Outlaw 24 one season and i'm starting to look now for a 28-29 with twins. The extra 5' makes all the difference if it starts getting choppy and the extra room is well worth it. If you can do your own maint and dont mind getting dirty go for the twins, as your just paying for double the parts and not double the labor.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Pretty interesting comparison too. 6 yrs older to get more boat and twins. Yeah doing double the maintenance sucks but if they are solid now it's not bad.
I wish someone had taken me aside (not that I's have listened) and educated me on "PREVENTIVE" maintenance. I repowered w/two new in the box motors and then assumed because they were both under warranty that I could beat the bajesus out of them w/o taking care of them. They both lasted one yr out of warranty and then I started fixing/replacing everything and it got very expensive.
Establish that motors/drives are solid now and then start a religious preventive maintenance schedule. Faster/harder you run it the closer together those sessions will be.
At that level it's not much work and is way cheaper than corrective maintenance. Once you do it a few times it gets way easier/faster too. You'll be able to pull a drive, check for leaks and grease u-joints in 15 mins per.

Good luck and have fun!
Originally Posted by drivrswntd
Very Very True. I'm on the bay in RI and have had my Outlaw 24 one season and i'm starting to look now for a 28-29 with twins. The extra 5' makes all the difference if it starts getting choppy and the extra room is well worth it. If you can do your own maint and dont mind getting dirty go for the twins, as your just paying for double the parts and not double the labor.
Hence my post as proof OP. I have fun on the 25', but am wanting bigger already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.