Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
boat trailer registration / title issue... any input? >

boat trailer registration / title issue... any input?

Notices

boat trailer registration / title issue... any input?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by debcod2
Just thought I would ask. I figure we were targeted and someone knew they wanted mine to either scrap out or most likely modify to fit another boat. Ours was a triple axle Eagle trailer shown in my avatar for our Formula 292 fastec and was stolen while hooked to my truck at one of Lanier islands launch ramps.
Not a problem! Sorry for your loss... what a gutless act of stealing!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
thats some what interesting, Barkley at Lanier Harbor Marina had his trailer stolen from the marina. it was for his 353 fastec Formula. happened a few a couple of few months ago.
Well thats definatley an interesting fact! Sounds like there may be the start of a pattern going on down here.

What kind of trailer did he have?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THats gotta suck when you come back from a day on the water with the boat, and the trailer is missing, what do you do?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered

First off, you will need to speak with someone at the DMV for issues with the trailer. IDNR will only handle the boat.

Second, you will probably have some with this because IL is jacked up when it comes to this. If the trailer has a VIN number then you might have a chance. No title and No VIN, then you can forget about it.

I just ran into that problem on my trailer, no title and no VIN. Ended up having to register the trailer in my G/F name in the next state.

And you can not do a homemade trailer in IL unless it is actually homemade. ISP will come inspect your trailer if applying for a homemade trailer. Once they deem it is not, then the application will be denied.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
THats gotta suck when you come back from a day on the water with the boat, and the trailer is missing, what do you do?
It will definatley piss you off and make your day go to hell real quick!

Luckily we have a bunch of friends with slips at the marina across the cove from where it was stolen and we were able to keep it there for a few weeks while we argued with insurance company and got a new one built which by the way is another nightmare in itself!

I posted this once already but 2 of my other buddies called their ins companies after this happened and were both told the same thing: their trailers were covered for collision and comp but NOT theft! I would advise that every one double check their policies to make sure you are covered if this happens to you! It was like pulling teeth to get our insurance company cover this and and had to show all sorts of proof that the trailer was part of the policy and supposed to be covered. Long story but its worth making the 5 minute call to verify theft coverage!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this helps or not? I purchased a truck in Kansas which is a no title state. When I brought it back to PA I had to contact the Kansas DMV which understood my problem and they have a paper title that they issued just for this situation. I had to fax them proof of purchase and Kansas registration. I'm sure most non title states have a similar process.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Default mcourson is absolutely correct!

Originally Posted by mcourson
First off, you will need to speak with someone at the DMV for issues with the trailer. IDNR will only handle the boat.

Second, you will probably have some with this because IL is jacked up when it comes to this. If the trailer has a VIN number then you might have a chance. No title and No VIN, then you can forget about it.
I would go one step further and go to the office where you will do your paperwork and tell them what you have coming. While the state does set down procedures, many of the offices have their own "practices". Where I hail from I drive an extra 10 minutes to one office because if there is an unforeseen problem the people there do everything they can to resolve it, while the registrar which is closer does almost everything they can to find problems.

Never know, the current owner might actually still have the MSO and all problems over.