Notices

Thoughts on towing

Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totaly agree with everyone here I sure your buddy is great friend but you both are taking your own lifes in your hands plus everyone elses life on the road with you. See all these new rating for towing on every car in the world is total BS half ton trucks saying they can tow 10,000 safely kiss my @ss. Yes they can move it, yes they can stop it with enough time........try stopping it at 65 when someone does not look on an on ramp, or the traffic jam cause the crash that just happened 20 cars in front of you. ( which you and every car in between are now part of ) You could not leave enough cushion or drive slow enough to be safe with that.

I have an 87 241 liberator, boat is 4000, motor and drive are another 1200 5200, 50 gal gas 350 plus at least anouther 150 pounds of what not miniumly on the boat. 5700 trailer 1300( steel trailer 2 axel )7000 lbs. trailer had 4 new tires, i was towing with a crew cab 4x4 1 ton chevy dually I was doing 65 not going fast at all. I had one of those new tires blow out doing that 65 and going around a bend.......it ranked that dually across 2 lanes and part way into the median before i could caught it before i even start to stop it.

its not so much important on what it can move as much as what can it do when something goes wrong.

Bottom line NOT THE BEST IDEA
Even a 1/2 ton truck will have issues with that load if something goes wrong.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the rated weight capacity. It will definately place a strain on the trans, especially in this heat.
Brakes are the next issue. It is a car with small brakes and I would imagine the trailers brakes are NOT up to snuff so even if you can keep the load moving forward, stopping can be white knucke.

I agree, take your tow vehicle and let him buy fuel and food.