Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   32-34 rough water handling (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/281679-32-34-rough-water-handling.html)

TEZ 07-29-2012 07:05 PM

32-34 rough water handling

What brand handles the Lake Michigan 3-5 foot chop the best in the 32 to 34 foot range??? These are boats that can be purchased in the surrounding great lakes states. Thanks for any and all input.
Active Thunder
Hustler
Formula
Fountains
Powerquest

Smarty 07-29-2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TEZ (Post 3741398)
What brand handles the Lake Michigan 3-5 foot chop the best in the 32 to 34 foot range??? These are boats that can be purchased in the surrounding great lakes states. Thanks for any and all input.
Active Thunder
Hustler
Formula
Fountains
Powerquest

Both of these are forsale. The white yellow and purple 34' Phantom runs 104 mph (probably closer to 110 at end of summer with more prop testing and dialing-in), and the white and red runs 90-92 mph. Both boats have new (or almost new power), and new or almost new interiors. Both are located in New Jersey.

And run in rough water will run great. The 34' Phantom "Simmons Marine" is a great lakes boat , that has over 40 checkered flags (wins) in all kinds of water conditions, and I believe the 34' Phantom "Porter' Pipe Dream" is a great lakes boat (I do not know if Simmons or Pipe Dream are forsale). The 34' Phantom will be the fastest boat in the rough water with equal power to any of the brands you have listed above, and ride the best too.

Full Force 07-29-2012 08:09 PM

this is a good starting point.....

how much you looking to spend???

yeart ranges????

stepped or non???

Nightlife1970 07-29-2012 08:14 PM

Don't forget Powerplay and Baja's 33 Outlaw is regarded as the best hull they had.

pitmitch910 07-29-2012 09:14 PM

Formula seems to one i dont hear bad stuff about, the weight will handle the chop

FIXX 07-29-2012 10:07 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3741419)
Both of these are forsale. The white yellow and purple 34' Phantom runs 104 mph (probably closer to 110 at end of summer with more prop testing and dialing-in), and the white and red runs 90-92 mph. Both boats have new (or almost new power), and new or almost new interiors. Both are located in New Jersey.

And run in rough water will run great. The 34' Phantom "Simmons Marine" is a great lakes boat , that has over 40 checkered flags (wins) in all kinds of water conditions, and I believe the 34' Phantom "Porter' Pipe Dream" is a great lakes boat (I do not know if Simmons or Pipe Dream are forsale). The 34' Phantom will be the fastest boat in the rough water with equal power to any of the brands you have listed above, and ride the best too.

bob porter has a 26 checkmate and i thoughta 29 or 30 phantom,,he just bought a new bigger building and even with that i dont think he will sell the phantom..

yes some of the formulas will slice through the waves,my 336 crush's them..

look into a cig cafe racer,,they 2 are wave crushers..

Smarty 07-30-2012 12:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3741532)
bob porter has a 26 checkmate and i thoughta 29 or 30 phantom,,he just bought a new bigger building and even with that i dont think he will sell the phantom..

yes some of the formulas will slice through the waves,my 336 crush's them..

look into a cig cafe racer,,they 2 are wave crushers..

This is the Pipedream 34' Phantom I mentioned earlier, as well as the Simmons Marine Phantom, and the 34' Phantom pleasure boat (with cabin) at WOT.

Full Force 07-30-2012 05:04 AM

old school Cig and Apache will crush any other in "real" big water, straight hull and HEAVY will always be better, but you sacrafice speed, so again, I ask..... what years and price range we talking, I can sit here all day and say a 46 RR will be best but at 300,000 may be out of the price range....so this plays a huge role in the answer if you only wanna spend 30,000 or 400,000$$$$$????

TEZ 07-30-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 3741607)
old school Cig and Apache will crush any other in "real" big water, straight hull and HEAVY will always be better, but you sacrafice speed, so again, I ask..... what years and price range we talking, I can sit here all day and say a 46 RR will be best but at 300,000 may be out of the price range....so this plays a huge role in the answer if you only wanna spend 30,000 or 400,000$$$$$????

Would be looking in the 85k and under price range, which can also to a certain degree dictate years right?? But probably in the 1995-2000 range, just depends on what guys are letting there boats go for. If non step is better in the chop I would probably go with that and also cheaper, don't need to go 95mph but would like to be able to run 75 -80mph.

Smarty 07-30-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TEZ (Post 3741612)
Would be looking in the 85k and under price range, which can also to a certain degree dictate years right?? But probably in the 1995-2000 range, just depends on what guys are letting there boats go for. If non step is better in the chop I would probably go with that and also cheaper, don't need to go 95mph but would like to be able to run 75 -80mph.

If you want a non-stepped boat in this size range the 33' Sutphen would be a great choice. Both the Phantoms I posted about for sale can be had for far less than $85K, and both are year 2000 boats.

THE 288 KID 07-30-2012 06:43 AM

Pm sent

sommerfliesby 07-30-2012 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My boat runs 75-80 in Lake Michigan...regardless of Fountain's rep as "not a wave-crushing, rough water boat," its all in how you drive it. Boat flies level and is just long enough to span the Michigan chop without issue until it gets over 4'...but at that point, you might want to stay tied to the pier. I've been out in 6s and running 65 mph...I don't care what boat you are in with the size range you have mentioned...in 4-6 water, you will be flying.

And mine might be for sale soon...

For the record...its JIM Porter with the Phantom.

copiercat 07-30-2012 09:57 AM

Why not a Cat ? much wider and pack with air..

Full Force 07-30-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 3741633)
My boat runs 75-80 in Lake Michigan...regardless of Fountain's rep as "not a wave-crushing, rough water boat," its all in how you drive it. Boat flies level and is just long enough to span the Michigan chop without issue until it gets over 4'...but at that point, you might want to stay tied to the pier. I've been out in 6s and running 65 mph...I don't care what boat you are in with the size range you have mentioned...in 4-6 water, you will be flying.

And mine might be for sale soon...

For the record...its JIM Porter with the Phantom.

flying can be fun! but I will say... the mistress rarely flies too much do to the weight.... cafe flies much more with same hull....

if I put some tab in the mistress and run big water she don't fly .... it is however easier to stuff it in big water just gotta find the happy spot in it.....knowing the boat is half the battle...

AJ POWERPLAY 07-30-2012 10:30 AM

IF i was going to sell, i would say buy my boat... BUT, its not for sale :D
i would look into finding a 33 PowerPlay. KID's 33 AT also hits the rough stuff very well.

SMARTY how much for the white and purple phantom? those are both bad ass boats! Not 100% sure about the very best ride in that class... but a sweet ride for sure!

-AJ

rlj676 07-30-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID (Post 3741631)
Pm sent

What!:party-smiley-004:

FIXX 07-30-2012 07:05 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3741588)
This is the Pipedream 34' Phantom I mentioned earlier, as well as the Simmons Marine Phantom, and the 34' Phantom pleasure boat (with cabin) at WOT.

ok so i guess he got a bigger one,,the last one i saw was a single engine 30' ...

THE 288 KID 07-30-2012 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rlj676 (Post 3742161)
What!:party-smiley-004:

Been thinking about fast cars and motorcycles lately and how happy I was when I had both...

Smarty 07-31-2012 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ajfisher (Post 3741794)
IF i was going to sell, i would say buy my boat... BUT, its not for sale :D
i would look into finding a 33 PowerPlay. KID's 33 AT also hits the rough stuff very well.

SMARTY how much for the white and purple phantom? those are both bad ass boats! Not 100% sure about the very best ride in that class... but a sweet ride for sure!

-AJ

This was from a similar thread posted recently about he purple and white 34' Phantom I do not personally know the owner and I will assume he will be OK with me posting this which may help him sell his boat:

"My 34 Phantom is hands down the best bang for the buck. Brand new everything this winter. 675hp naturaly aspirated, Xr's, -2 Shorties. 105mph on GPS so far and still more dialing to do, not to mention we have had 90+ degree weather since the boat has been finished. Turn key reliable absolutly needs nothing and will run through any water you throw at it. Ran AC poker run at 90mph in the ocaen like I was in a 42' boat. 65k takes it. I have that invested this year. Im moving into a cat, I just cant seem to go fast enough. LOL"

Here is the link to where the thread where this was posted.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...er-fuel-3.html

The picture was taken a few years ago, previous owner. This is a nice boat.

richanton 07-31-2012 02:40 PM

Call Rage Powerboats, they are an OSO sponsor.

TC G 07-31-2012 03:06 PM

The Fountain hull has more than proven itself over the years on the offshore circuit. I'm just sayin. And they don't always race on calm days.

CrownHawg 07-31-2012 03:16 PM

How about the Advantage 32 Victory? It was designed as an offshore racer. Just sayin!

32hustlin 07-31-2012 03:36 PM

I love these type of threads they always turn into insert "my favorite brand here" for an answer. Sport boat or whoever else is left should do a round up like the car mags do; drag a bunch of boats in the same size class out to a notoriously rough spot and run em then review em. I would honestly like to know how they all stack up

Full Force 07-31-2012 03:43 PM

the 38 fountain stepped hull I have been on in lake Erie was. nowhere near impressive in our slop....the 42 was better but was not rough out... they do have a fast hull though...

black thunder 46 07-31-2012 03:54 PM

I would go with 31 cigarette bullet or fountain both wave crushers. I was going down loto around 50mph and passed a 55swaray and put the tabs around 4 and left the drives at to and it went right into it no trouble!
Brett

Full Force 07-31-2012 04:41 PM

I seriously can't see Cig and Fountain being in the same sentance as a wave crusher, Fountain fast yes, wave crusher no way... Cig= wave crusher, maybe Fountain on LOTO waves but not on a great lake...

My 32 Baja crushed waves better then the 38 Fountain I was on...

Smarty 07-31-2012 04:57 PM

I have riden in Magnum, Cigarette, Fountain, Pantera...first hand. It is not insert my favorite brand here, I try to be objective. Now, based in this buyer's objective the desire for a smooth ride, speed of 75-80 mph maximum, and a budget of $85K maximum, I would recommend a used non-stepped 38' Cigarette (or a nice 35' Cigarette - I prefer the 38'). I already hear the objection, "it is longer than the 33'-34' criteria." If the buyer's tow vehicle, boat slip, and or launch ramp(s) can handle it, that is what I would recommend. If it had to be 33'-34', I have never ridden in the Powerquest, but the Powerquest, Formula, or Active Thunder would be fine choice, based on his criteria, and all make a very nice boat, with nice cabin ammenities (if desired), and tht is what was listed to begin with in this thread that he was asking about.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-Gun-101302929.

Me, I like to go fast, really could careless about about cabin, and want to run 90+ mph, across a variety of wakes in a river, bay or ocean without feeling like I am about to die (the boat not feeling safe at that speed), the Phantom gives me that feeling of reassurance, hence the rough water qualifier. I am not inserting my favorite brand, hell that would be Skater!

rlj676 07-31-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID (Post 3742434)
Been thinking about fast cars and motorcycles lately and how happy I was when I had both...

I hear that, my bike/truck/cars have kept me from going bigger in the boat. Buy FantastixVoyage's 25 PP and get in the club for "small money".:evilb:

288's 33 AT is a beautiful boat and if it can fall w/in one's budget will be hard to beat for this size range.

shaun harrington 07-31-2012 05:39 PM

Boating in new England, there has bee more than 1 time I said I am glad I am in a sutphen.

Smarty 07-31-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by shaun harrington (Post 3742935)
Boating in new England, there has bee more than 1 time I said I am glad I am in a sutphen.

I think the Suphen is the best for the rough water in this 33'-34' thread, if the boat must be 33'-34', I think it would be even better than the Phantom for really rough water for the speed level that buyer listed, no argument from me. I stated earlier, if the buyer is ok with a nonstepped boat in this size range, the Sutphen would be my first choice.

AttitudeJr 07-31-2012 05:47 PM

IMO Active thunders are the best rough riding boat out there, in that size of a boat thats what made us by a 37 was our friend's 32 there was 5 of them. we owned a 38 fountain and a 28 checkmate before these one. Now the 42 fountian with 700's are fast and good in rough water, but its got to be the new ones and atleast a 42. By the way we used to live by lake michigan and boat out of there for years and have friends that still have thunders up there

Full Force 07-31-2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3742911)
Me, I like to go fast, really could careless about about cabin, and want to run 90+ mph, across a variety of wakes in a river, bay or ocean without feeling like I am about to die (the boat not feeling safe at that speed), the Phantom gives me that feeling of reassurance, hence the rough water qualifier. I am not inserting my favorite brand, hell that would be Skater!

if it were me going for all around, certainly would be my late buds "Clifford" that boat is a beast...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...tang/saber.jpg

golfmaxgolf 07-31-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 3742900)
I seriously can't see Cig and Fountain being in the same sentance as a wave crusher, Fountain fast yes, wave crusher no way... Cig= wave crusher, maybe Fountain on LOTO waves but not on a great lake...

My 32 Baja crushed waves better then the 38 Fountain I was on...

Well Said FF Now Tell Roger i Said Hello! Steph Too! GMG!

Full Force 07-31-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by golfmaxgolf (Post 3742951)
Well Said FF Now Tell Roger i Said Hello! Steph Too! GMG!

lol that was the first Fountain and 38 I was on, great boat, but was not great on Erie in my opinion... his 36 Apache...well you know... :)

cougarman 07-31-2012 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was always really happy with my 31' Sonic
with a 3 piece hull for all the years I ran it
on Lake Michigan.

Great boat for the size, can't beat them for cabin room.
Great walk around deck, just a great boat.

Jon

cougarman 07-31-2012 06:05 PM

FYI...........if you haven't already saw this 36' Pantera in the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o46252-en.html

Jon

Full Force 07-31-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 3742960)
I was always really happy with my 31' Sonic
with a 3 piece hull for all the years I ran it
on Lake Michigan.

Great boat for the size, can't beat them for cabin room.
Great walk around deck, just a great boat.

Jon

My buddy has a 38 Sonic... VERY thick and heavy hull... rode great on the great lakes...having 3 engines helped her be heavy....

bwd 07-31-2012 06:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 479840

Attachment 479841
Hey Smarty you forgot one. In the Cocoa beach race this spring we ran 85-91 in 3-5' and 65 @ 6-10' in the corners. The Phantom is all, anybody who knows, says it is. Hands down imo. And yes I've been in plenty of great boats. Both Smarty's and the other one would be great boats to buy.

Smarty 07-31-2012 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bwd (Post 3742977)
Attachment 479840

Attachment 479841
Hey Smarty you forgot one. In the Cocoa beach race this spring we ran 85-91 in 3-5' and 65 @ 6-10' in the corners. The Phantom is all, anybody who knows, says it is. Hands down imo. And yes I've been in plenty of great boats. Both Smarty's and the other one would be great boats to buy.

Brian,

I am sorry I did not include your boat, but you definitely know from first hand experience, as some of my client's say, "bullsh*t ain't nothin", so let the speculation end, your first hand real world experience is good to hear. Go win some races, that is one very nice BRAND new Phantom. The 34' Phantom (model in general) is a proven rough water, and flat water winner, and is still winning races today.

Stephen

bwd 07-31-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks Stephen. I hope the added limelight the Perdition Phantom has seen, helps you sell your boat. Tez should look at it at it. Or at least see pics. It shows well. B