Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Security Systems..Apparently I need One??? >

Boat Security Systems..Apparently I need One???

Notices

Boat Security Systems..Apparently I need One???

Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boat Security Systems..Apparently I need One???

Not sure what Forum to post this in..so here goes.. Just got a call from the company gelcoating my boat..restoration almost complete.. and he tells me he stopped by the shop and noticed a puddle of oil under my rig and asked if I came and took my prop off. Neither question nor statement made me feel very good. I had him take a look around the boat and in the boat.. Oil in the bilge, oil cooler gone, flame arrestor gone, valve covers gone, prop gone, hoses cut galore, wires ripped out and sliced, gear handle ripped out of the side mounted fiberglass, hanging by a cable, buddy bearings smashed and broken, lugnuts gone. Now, aside from the 44 mag in my glove box and my conceal and carry permit and the NRA friendly gun laws in the state of Missouri, can anyone recommend a motion sensitive security system for my rig so after the Insurance company reimburses me for all the damages, I can protect my investment? I sleep pretty well at night in my town, but damned if I don't wanna spend all night waiting for some young punk to try'n sneak back on to my boat so I can add some fresh skull fragments and gray matter to my brand new upholstery??!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stickman811
Not sure what Forum to post this in..so here goes.. Just got a call from the company gelcoating my boat..restoration almost complete.. and he tells me he stopped by the shop and noticed a puddle of oil under my rig and asked if I came and took my prop off. Neither question nor statement made me feel very good. I had him take a look around the boat and in the boat.. Oil in the bilge, oil cooler gone, flame arrestor gone, valve covers gone, prop gone, hoses cut galore, wires ripped out and sliced, gear handle ripped out of the side mounted fiberglass, hanging by a cable, buddy bearings smashed and broken, lugnuts gone. Now, aside from the 44 mag in my glove box and my conceal and carry permit and the NRA friendly gun laws in the state of Missouri, can anyone recommend a motion sensitive security system for my rig so after the Insurance company reimburses me for all the damages, I can protect my investment? I sleep pretty well at night in my town, but damned if I don't wanna spend all night waiting for some young punk to try'n sneak back on to my boat so I can add some fresh skull fragments and gray matter to my brand new upholstery??!
http://www.boatalarm.com/

?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Shouldn't the company doing the work for you be responsible through their insurance. This way you don't need to make a claim against your policy? Provided that the boat was in there posession.
I know how you feel. Years back, my Sleekcraft was at the repair shop and the stereo, speakers and equalizer were stolen. The Shop I dealt with at the time made good on it out of their pocket.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Someone was in your boat a long time to cause that much havvoc. Sorry for your loss. Doesnt the shop have insurance?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Their Insurance won't cover items left outside of their Locked shop space as they have a shared Lot with several other Boat shops and smaller companies without a gate, yet they assured me beforehand that they've never had any problems with theft or anything. Since this is my first claim EVER and I am a longstanding customer with my insurance company, i'm guessing my rate won't change much. I'll know more tomorrow AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

Be sure to tell your insurance co. the details of being at a repair shop. I would think that if they could pass the loss onto another insur. co., they will.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

Usually making a claim against your comprehensive policy does not change your premium. At least in my experience. I am so sorry to hear about that man. Damn low lifes. Watch craigslist for stuff like your prop popping up. I hope you get it all squared away soon.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

as a shop owner..nothing is covered outside....i do have 4.5 mil in personal injury and x amount in shop keepers coverage and that alone would make a nice truck payment every month..every shop in my neighborhood has a sign on the wall saying their vehicle is not covered for theft of vandalism period no exceptions..please remove all personal items from your vehicles...now if it were inside thats another story...

sorry but it sounds like a inside job or someone near by may have been staking out your boat..
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had some boats broken into at my shop a few years ago (mostly mine but a couple of customers also) My insurance co wanted model & serial # for the stereo equip stolen or they woundnt pay out but were more than willing to raise my rates. I ended up settling with customers out of pocket. I was trying to be nice to my customers but they got pissed anyway. One was pissed but accepted my gesture but the other threatened to sue me claiming he just put a high dollar blaupunct system in the boat but couldnt produce any proof. The cops literally told me "This aint CSI" & that was that. Two days later I had dogs in the yard, no more break ins but the cops were pissed. HMMM
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

btw as for security you can call auto page,,they have a alarm that works with your android smart phone,,it will send you a text message it someone trips the silent alarm in your boat notice i said silent the alarm also has a tracking feature so if someone steals the whole thing it can be tracked via gps..
http://www.c3autopageusa.com/demo-video.html

i use to install auto page alarms back in the 80's..they are a good brand and have been around for a long long time..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.