Notices

How worried should i be?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How worried should i be?

So I thought I would clean out the bilge and make it nice and white looking again and then I come across the motor mount on the right side looking back and see these small cracks in the fiberglass... Now i know for a fact this wasnt here in the spring when i dropped the 408 sbc in... While doing the engine swap i replaced the transom assembly as well and there was no signs of rot anywhere... Everything was solid as can be including the spot you see in the picture. Im being told by a few people to drill a hole to see if theres rot. Could the torque of the motor do this? I stuck a ice pick in the crack and its still rock solid in there. What should i do with this then? The other side has no signs of cracking like this. Should i just seal it for now and run the boat for the rest of the season and re-resin it in the winter?

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Last edited by chrisf695; 08-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Drill a hole. Under the mount could be soft and is sinking causing the outside corner to crack. Boats can have a lot of rot and be fine to use but motor mounts are nothing to play with.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there isnt rot, you should atleast fill it with something that wont let water get under the layers.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me that looks like it is pulling apart and not just cracks in the outer gel. Best way is to drill a small hole and check the wood.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

On a 1989 18 Powerplay.....I would drill one or two holes in the top of the stringer and air it out if its wet. Then I'd hit it with some git-rot, watch it to see if it holds.......if not will need to replace stringer. If you do run it as is don't go out in any rough water and don't run it hard.

Looks like a tiny pin hole far left corner of picture could of been the culprit. Where is that moisture coming from in the picture? Exhaust? Need to fix that too.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a buddy of mine that lives on the lake come over after work to take a quick look just to see what he thought on this, he fully restored an 81' glastron cvx-20 with a 428ci(sweet boat). He did some looking around and poked into the cracks like i did, and started using a hammer to hear what the structure sounded like and to him he said it was just the glass that need to be re-resin... But he did suggest i strengthen the motor mounts over the winter from his glass guy he uses, which probably isnt a bad idea. But he said if i didnt feel totally ok still, that it might be a good idea to drill a hole below the motor mount to see if theres rot. But I dont feel great about drilling holes into my boat... if i do how big should the holes be that i drill? 3/8's 1/4? Im pretty confident hes accurate on this, but im still going to have a surveyor come out friday to test the stingers with his moister meter... hes only charging me 50 bucks for this.