Poker Runs – Are we going too fast? >

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Notices

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In my office chair, I almost heaved from the chine walk over the wakes.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
For the most part, that looked like a good ride until he went far port and inside some docks no wake bouys! Had I been out there on my dock watching my kid swim and this jackwad came within 50 ft of my dock, I may have taken a shot at him. I didn't watch the whole video(didn't have 21 minutes of my life to waste), but there was some of the ride that looked fine (no traffic close), but some of the video looked a little too close. If he had to pee so bad, why didn't he just stop and get in the water???
That's the part I was talking about. I consider "too fast" to be when your speed in relation to conditions/traffic puts you in a situation that you put other boaters/people in danger, or force yourself to break into no wake zones at speed. Videos and actions like that will ultimately end up as proof to further restrict events like LOTO.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all good until someone loses a boat/life/loved one!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

The jails are full of guys that "never wanted to hurt no one", "I just wanted to see how my car/bike/boat.... ran"!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
I think this video is a perfect example of "too fast".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bu0...hannel&list=UL
Here's the problems I have with that video:

1) Going that fast on an uncontrolled / open course with lots of pleasure boaters running around

2) It's tough enough to run that fast / close to folks you've raced with for years and can trust. But with a bunch of weekend warriors trying to see who has the biggest nads?

3) Going inside the marker bouys to port - Big no no

4) Passing slower boats to port and starboard

On the plus side, the guys running that boat know what they're doing. But, if somebody in a kayak were to suddenly pop up between the wakes, what do you think would have happened?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered

Ed Zachary!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Problem is that the promoters do not want to alienated, and participants do not want to be told what to do. In the end I think it helped a little bit but the BIG issues were never unanimously agreed on
Hence lies the problem. This needs to be reposted but with an actual anonymous poll.

What do you think the fallout will be like when a boat like "My Way" actually does come apart into the spectators?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Crown. I have a place at LOTO and love fast boats, we all know this stuff happens but why post a video to give WP more ammo. This same thing happened a couple of years ago and resulted in tickets for the drivers in the video and a HARD speed limit on that Poker Run!
So what would have happened if some was actually abiding by the LAW and Idling away from their dock out the the buoy and this joker cuts 50 ft inside the 100ft buoy at 90mph? If he didn't run over the boat legally operating in the No Wake zone his evasive action would have probably left it like that other 29 on its lid. How would that have ended up. Just a series of poor decisions, it was a Poker Run/Fun Run.
I'm not posting to bash or condem, just pull back on the stick, slow down, find a safe line and go again and for goodness sake if you screw up don't post it on YouTube.