Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Burning smell and engine failure??????? >

Burning smell and engine failure???????

Notices

Burning smell and engine failure???????

Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell and engine failure???????

I have a 2000 Baja OL 33' with twin 502 mpi's. I was out 2 weeks ago, there was a electrical burning smell and the warning beepers went off. The belt was melted to the alternator pulley and with the electrical smell I assumed it was the alternator. The pulley did spin freely though. So with a new alternator it ran great for about an hour. It did the same exact thing, took it back to the dock and it ran fine! Any suggestions? The alternator was charging and the engine didnt appear to be overheating. Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your pulley needs to be adjusted, I had the same problem! Tightened my pulley and problem was fixed. Just a thought!

Rick
Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your water pump or any other idler pulleys that the same belt uses. Make sure you don't have any loose connections to the alternator/charging circuit. If the alternotor is in full charge mode do to a bad connection it could be causing the alternator to over charge, heat up, and seize. You could try and diconnect all the wires to the alternator and just let it roll free with out any charge and see what happens. The other motor should be plenty to keep the batteries charged up.