Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Old Flares...What do you do with them? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/282920-old-flares-what-do-you-do-them.html)

lastcall02 08-16-2012 07:55 AM

Old Flares...What do you do with them?

So what does everyone do with their old flares after they expire? I have several expired flares and was wondering if I should light them off next 4th of July, light them off this weekend for the fun of it or just throw them away. I'm not even sure if it's legal to throw them away?

pkspx 08-16-2012 07:57 AM

I set them off in the street 4th july all over again. I figure, why waste money, minds well use them up ! :D

88Fount33 08-16-2012 08:09 AM

Keep them on the boat, will use them first in an emergency. Never want to need more than what I have and not have enough, they don't take up a lot of space and weigh hardly anything. If I'm ever in a situation where I've used up all the "good" ones and have none left, it would not make me happy. A coastie told me one time, that just because they are out of date, doesn't mean they won't still work fine, even years later.

damdonzi 08-16-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 88Fount33 (Post 3755350)
Keep them on the boat, will use them first in an emergency. Never want to need more than what I have and not have enough, they don't take up a lot of space and weigh hardly anything. If I'm ever in a situation where I've used up all the "good" ones and have none left, it would not make me happy. A coastie told me one time, that just because they are out of date, doesn't mean they won't still work fine, even years later.

+1. I heard you had to mark them expired and separate them from the other current ones on the boat, but not sure that is true. However, having a back-up set on the boat is what I do as well.

lastcall02 08-16-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 88Fount33 (Post 3755350)

That's what I've been doing. I have a few packs (three in a pack) that are expired along with the ones that are up to date. One of the packs have been expired since 2005. I was thinking about getting rid of them and was just curious what everyone else was doing with theirs. You are right, I will more then likely just keep the expired ones on the boat like I've been doing. I would rather have more then not enough.

OldSchool 08-16-2012 08:28 AM

I use them to start bonfires in our neighborhood. I've got a box of them from as far back as 1995. They still light and burn like a MoFo!!!!

Port Monster 08-16-2012 08:30 AM

I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!

GeeterB 08-16-2012 09:32 AM

Port Monster...that was 1 of the best posts on this site in a long time! Thanks for mentioning that...I have kids and will from now on be doing that when i replace safety equip like that when expired...
Thanks!

Gary864 08-16-2012 09:55 AM

I sneak into my neighbors boat and switch the old with the new. .......Just Kidding guys

Baja_342 08-16-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Port Monster (Post 3755373)
I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!

Great idea!