Old Flares...What do you do with them? >

Old Flares...What do you do with them?

Notices

Old Flares...What do you do with them?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Flares...What do you do with them?

So what does everyone do with their old flares after they expire? I have several expired flares and was wondering if I should light them off next 4th of July, light them off this weekend for the fun of it or just throw them away. I'm not even sure if it's legal to throw them away?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I set them off in the street 4th july all over again. I figure, why waste money, minds well use them up !
Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Keep them on the boat, will use them first in an emergency. Never want to need more than what I have and not have enough, they don't take up a lot of space and weigh hardly anything. If I'm ever in a situation where I've used up all the "good" ones and have none left, it would not make me happy. A coastie told me one time, that just because they are out of date, doesn't mean they won't still work fine, even years later.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
Keep them on the boat, will use them first in an emergency. Never want to need more than what I have and not have enough, they don't take up a lot of space and weigh hardly anything. If I'm ever in a situation where I've used up all the "good" ones and have none left, it would not make me happy. A coastie told me one time, that just because they are out of date, doesn't mean they won't still work fine, even years later.
+1. I heard you had to mark them expired and separate them from the other current ones on the boat, but not sure that is true. However, having a back-up set on the boat is what I do as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
That's what I've been doing. I have a few packs (three in a pack) that are expired along with the ones that are up to date. One of the packs have been expired since 2005. I was thinking about getting rid of them and was just curious what everyone else was doing with theirs. You are right, I will more then likely just keep the expired ones on the boat like I've been doing. I would rather have more then not enough.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

I use them to start bonfires in our neighborhood. I've got a box of them from as far back as 1995. They still light and burn like a MoFo!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Port Monster...that was 1 of the best posts on this site in a long time! Thanks for mentioning that...I have kids and will from now on be doing that when i replace safety equip like that when expired...
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sneak into my neighbors boat and switch the old with the new. .......Just Kidding guys
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Port Monster
I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!
Great idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.