Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier >

Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier

Notices

Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the comments about boating courses. However, there is no substitute for common sense. Some have it some don't.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This many accidents throughout the year just wait til Labor Day when the "Holiday boaters" come out.

I am all for a mandatory boaters license and an age requirement on PWC's. I have so many other licenses and certifications in my pocket what's another one.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been almost a dozen drownings on Lanier this year that have not been reported by the news. One thing I try to tell people is when drinking or drunk do not get in the water without a life jacket you cannot swim.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
A 3 hour online course isn't quite what I have in mind as a safety course.... Now if it is a 3hr test. Than that sounds pretty in depth. As soon as my 10 year old daughter is a little bit older, I will be enrolling her, along with myself and wife in a coast guard approved course.

You do have to pass a test after you are done with the course. If you don't pass the test, you can't print your certificate of completion. It does let you take the test as many times as needed but you still have to pass to get certified.

Edit: just talked to my sister and they break it up into sections but the whole test is about 4-5 hours start to finish. You have to watch a series of 20 minute videos then take a test on that section. You can not skip thru the videos and you Have to pass each section as you go before moving on to the next.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were at Lake Cumberland some years ago at 76 falls and saw a lady jump in for beads behind there boat. Guy driving does not know she jumped in (I guess), throws it hard in reverse, pulls her under, she pops up and they pull her out. Her whole thigh is ripped open and hanging, looked like a shark took a huge bite out of it.
Anytime my Girlfriend and I see somebody getting close to a prop on a moving/running boat freaks us out now.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I often, way to often, see people doing stupid things that could easily end up like this or even worse. I see people riding on the front of a closed bow boat at speed. People tubing and skiing in busy shipping channels, transom riding, etc. I hate to sound like this, but there needs to be some laws in place that force people into a class before operating a watercraft. I realize you can't fix stupid, since some of these things don't come as common sense to some, maybe with some training you can bring it to their attention. I hope this girl recovers well, for a 17 year old girl, the scars from this accident will impact her through out her younger years.......
In Ohio already in place, you can't be on the bow of a closed bow boat unless within 20 feet of a dock or shore.
But obviously as someone already said the guy didnt stop or the boat would of been in nuetral.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
I agree with the comments about boating courses. However, there is no substitute for common sense. Some have it some don't.
THIS ^^^^

Md has the law also, any one after 72 needs to take it. Had mine when I was 10. However I posses more common sense then most of the tards in the world today. It amazes me that there are so many dumb people in this word.

John jr
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe, they should just make it an IQ test. No studying required. Fall below 100, and you have to drive a jet boat.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 08-20-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do we hear the horror stories only after a bad accident ?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
You do have to pass a test after you are done with the course. If you don't pass the test, you can't print your certificate of completion. It does let you take the test as many times as needed but you still have to pass to get certified.

Edit: just talked to my sister and they break it up into sections but the whole test is about 4-5 hours start to finish. You have to watch a series of 20 minute videos then take a test on that section. You can not skip thru the videos and you Have to pass each section as you go before moving on to the next.
These online coast guard courses are great for someone who has never ever been on the water.... Other wise 4hrs you'll never get back of your life!! So repetitive & repeating could easily be cut back to an hour! Learned nothing passed every quiz & test & still took 4hrs.

Found out it was mandatory for me to take this class a couple weeks ago when getting stopped by the local water patrol. I'm 28 & have had a boat since I was 18, had the fountain for about 5yrs now.
Nothing like being told you can't drive your boat for the rest of the day & to step aside to let my buddy behind the wheel & throttles because he is 30 although he's maybe drivin a boat 3-4 times & never a twin engine 70+mph boat not to mention on 1 of the busiest days of the year on the Ohio river around downtown Cincinnati... WHAT A JOKE, as they sat there & preached safety & did a safety inspection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.