Like Tree0Likes

Powerboat history

Old 07-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)

It was in the 1969 Gateway Marathon, from West Palm Beach to Lucaya and back. Knocky House is on the right, and I don't remember who is in the center. For that matter, I don't remember how many drinks I had last night! Don won the race, but was nearly disqualified for not wearing his helmet. I was the chairman of the Offshore Commission in those days, and allowed him to lie out of it. He sold that boat to one of the Italians, I think Francesco Cosentino. He was basically alone against all the 31' Bertrams (Including our "Bossa Nova, driven by my partner, Billy Wishnick, and throttled by none other than Bobby Gene Moore. This was the first boat set up for a dedicated throttleman). It never bothered him, though, as he kicked their butts on a regular basis.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: Demos

Hey Brownie, remember Jay Smith from the Cleveland area? He got me converted back in 85, and talked me into bringing offshore to Western NY. The first event was in 86 on the Niagara River in conjunction with a hydro race I was chairing. Then we ran divisionals and kilos on Lake Erie (Buffalo) and the inner harbour. I think we may have met befor, maybe at the Ceasar's.

Humphrey
Old 07-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Secret F233

I agree this is what joined for as well if you do a search on Donzi.net there are some Awesome treads with Mr. Browns, Forest, & Big Bad Donzi's thoughts & memories in them just pump in there screen names & search by the member # you'll get out of there posts. It's truly An honor to be in the presence of greatness like this & to be able to carry it on for a generation's to come is to cool.

My 14year old Brother in law asks about the offshore history all the time & I try to share what I can but my knowledge on this era is so limited.

But every time I see the round bottom on my F233 I think of Brownie & Don going at it in the big stuff & makes me proud to own a pedigree boat like this

Brownie you did race as well for a while like in 67ish was it the 30' donzi blue devil & F233 with twin vdrives right??????

Old 07-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Registered

Blue Devil was a 1966 28' Donzi that we built for George Couzens, our dealer in Mich. It was born with twin 427 turbo Daytonas on Casale V-drives. It was the fastest (and least dependable) rough water boat of its day. I changed the name of Fowey Rocks Lighthouse to FOOEY rocks, because we led every race that far and then blew something! We finally repowered with 427 Holman Moody 427 medium risers with Webers. Won the 1967 Gateway Marathon (WPB-Lucaya and back), second in Around Long Island in '67, and 1st, Class one, Atlantic City. Finshed second for US 1 behind Aronow, 1275 to 1250 points. Not bad considering that he won 600 points in races that I did not participate.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered

Worked with Roy for years. He is one of my heroes in the business. Never met a man I admire more. He is one of those guys that you never hear of who is really responsible for the day to day advances in technology, like the foot soldier who fights from hedgerow to hedgerow, then the general, who has NFI, gets the credit.