This boat worth restoring?? >

This boat worth restoring??

Notices

This boat worth restoring??

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This boat worth restoring??

Hey guys, looking for some advice from all you experts that have been though this... I just picked up a powerplay xlt-185 for 5k few months ago. I made a mistake not getting the boat surveyed and now finding out its going to need a new floor and who knows what else.

Little about the boat... fresh 383, alpha ss, gelcoat is in great condition but has 3 bad scratches/chips. I know for fact the transom is not rotted from swapping out the transom assembly and changing the fish finder and exhaust tips. The interior is still original, needs a few cushions replaced.

Overall i love the boat but i'm afraid of dumping 2-3k into it. Friends of mine are telling me to fix it, because its not just any searay or bayliner... that its a powerplay and its rare. I had planned on fixing the scratches and interior this winter but the floor would soak up the money for that. Kinda at the point to either sell it and get something else or start the restoration of the XLT. Any advice would be helpful...

Last edited by Aussie695; 08-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

You can fix it yourself for a lot less that 2g's!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

One could make a case that putting any money into any boat is not worth it, boats are a bad investment.

Just one simple question....do you like the boat? If so fix it, polish it, bling it, make it faster, do whatever, just don't expect to ever get the money back out of it. And please don't put in on ebay years later for $50,000
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Yes... i do love the boat... its fast enough for me too.. 72 mph. I had 2 people come out last week for quotes on the floor and they where 1500 and 2500...so i figure 2k. But i forgot to mention that theres spider cracking too in the front of the full just below the waterline... my dad said its from the abuse probably from the big lakes... I picked up from someone that lived on lake michigan. Im pretty handy and can do most engine work... but never done fiberglass or wood work. Working on things isnt easy for me either considering i live in a condo and the boat wont fit in my garage... makes things kinda difficult.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fleg1
You can fix it yourself for a lot less that 2g's!!!
+1 . . . . theres a wealth of knowledge ( lol) in the fiberglass and paint section . . . .

I do have to ad one word of cation. Most times you can only see about one third of the actual damage that will need attention.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 08-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say fix it... I got a PP 185 and love the boat... hard to find and you could do most if not all that work yourself... would make a great winter project.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

My older brother was the original designer and builder of the 185 back when he called them Barons.
Anyways his son was looking for a 185 this summer and all of them he looked at the stringers were shot even though the boats looked very nice.

He actually gave up on the Powerplays and I just found him an original Baron. He figures both boats would need transoms and stringers so why not try to find one of the originals his dad built.

Anyways my guess would be if the floor is soft the stingers are shot also. Not to beat up on the Powerplays but the stringers were pretty lightly built and most of these boats were not abused but used hard like they were intended for.

Find someone who knows them and seif you can get them to give you an honest quote at fixing it correctly.

Sadly most 15 year old boats out there the stringers or transoms are wet.

The one 185 my nephew tried out looked great but you could pull the engine mounts out of the stringers, and the owner didn't even know this.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had 3 185xlts over the years.Own a 86 right now that I redid. They all have the same problems , floors, stringers,transoms, motor mnts. cracking in the corners of dash and back seat. Its just the way they were built back then. and you have to remember they are 20 + years old, but a hell of a fun cheap boat. Todd K has the number 1 185 built belly tank and a larger bilge comp, rides totally different (nicer) not trying to carry the fuel weight in the bow. If you dont go crazy it will hold its value .(I went crazy unfortunatly)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered

Depends if you have a place to do the work or not.

If you do, I would probably fix it but once you get into it and get started most likely you will be over $2K.

If you don't, patch it together and run it until it's barely holding together, then sell the motor/drive and put that $$ toward a new boat.

Or dump it now as-is, and try to get as much money out of it as you can, declaring the issues to any potential new owner of course.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

if you could do it your self and had a place to do it you should be able to do it for a $1100 in materials.

300 in marine plywood
200 in 14 yards of 1708
400 in 8 gallons of vinylester
100 in grinding discs and thinners.
another 100 for bilge paint or gelcoat

That would get the job done if you spent more that would be stuff other than your original rot project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.