Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My friend needs help with engine please!!! >

My friend needs help with engine please!!!

Notices

My friend needs help with engine please!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My friend needs help with engine please!!!

Little help please...

My buddy has a 502 Gen-VI block and early large oval port MK-IV heads. The cam is a stock 502 roller with stock Mercruiser exhaust. The motor has been rebuilt and bored .030 over with standard SRP pistons. The problem he's having is that he keeps getting water in the oil..not much...just enough to make it milky. He has tried 3 different Fel-Pro head gaskets. The compression is all good and the motor runs perfect with the exception of getting alittle water in the oil. We had the deck on the block checked and they said it was flat and good. We had the block checked for cracks and they said that was all good. We had the heads checked and they said that they were flat and good with no cracks. It was suggested to him to get a thick Cometic head gasket, but he has already spent about $500.00 on head and intake manifold gaskets. he cant do it anymore. I hope one of you guys with experience in something like this can help him out.

Thanks to everyone for a suggestion or a solution.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Intake gaskets. Recheck your intake bolts and see if they are tight.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like it or not, cometic is the solution. In all reality, he can have it done start to finish in half a day....stop foolin around and do it.."or spend 5k on a rebuild....

By the way."it takes quite a bit of water to make it milky, but very little to spin a bearing
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Little help please...

My buddy has a 502 Gen-VI block and early large oval port MK-IV heads. The cam is a stock 502 roller with stock Mercruiser exhaust. The motor has been rebuilt and bored .030 over with standard SRP pistons. The problem he's having is that he keeps getting water in the oil..not much...just enough to make it milky. He has tried 3 different Fel-Pro head gaskets. The compression is all good and the motor runs perfect with the exception of getting alittle water in the oil. We had the deck on the block checked and they said it was flat and good. We had the block checked for cracks and they said that was all good. We had the heads checked and they said that they were flat and good with no cracks. It was suggested to him to get a thick Cometic head gasket, but he has already spent about $500.00 on head and intake manifold gaskets. he cant do it anymore. I hope one of you guys with experience in something like this can help him out.

Thanks to everyone for a suggestion or a solution.
oil cooler but not likely,,their would be oil mixing with his exhaust first,rainbow water behind the boat..

did you have any valve guides replaces? some of the guides hold water back..when they bored the block they could have hit porosity in the casting which makes a tiny pin hole..

this is what i would do..warm up the engine.turn off.loop the hoses at the thetmostat housing and remove the hose at thewater supply hose going from the sea pump to the thermostat housing..stick a garden hose in the one end that came from the sea pump and then tighten the hose clamp so theirs no leaks..turn on the hose real quick or until the hoses are hard...now remove the oil caps and listen for a hissing sound,,you may want to remove all the sparkplugs and listen in the cylinders...i have found a lot of leaks at the bottom of cylinders where the casting is really thin,,good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
Like it or not, cometic is the solution. In all reality, he can have it done start to finish in half a day....stop foolin around and do it.."or spend 5k on a rebuild....

By the way."it takes quite a bit of water to make it milky, but very little to spin a bearing
That's what I suggested as I have had some issues with MK-IV heads on a Gen-VI block sealing up correctly.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Head bolts under the valve covers? Some of them run into water jackets and need sealant on the threads
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Registered

You don't really say HOW much water in the oil? Is it perhaps the oil is not getting up to operating temp? Maybe condensation..? Just a thought?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Registered

Just a thought... But did he possible disassemble the exhaust system and possibly not properly seal the exhaust tubes to the manifold. He could be getting some seepage from the water jacket that cools the exhaust and it in turn is causing slight reversion at the elbow. Long shot but you might check the gaskets where the manifold connects to the tubes (I think stock mercruiser disconnects there)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
You don't really say HOW much water in the oil? Is it perhaps the oil is not getting up to operating temp? Maybe condensation..? Just a thought?
Happy birthday Bi t c h...your x wife is on me rite now so theirs your gift.....ha ha hope its a great one ....
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.