Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat I'm looking at has a hard time shifting into neutral... >

Boat I'm looking at has a hard time shifting into neutral...

Notices

Boat I'm looking at has a hard time shifting into neutral...

Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat I'm looking at has a hard time shifting into neutral...

I'm looking at buying a boat with an Alpha drive and the owner says you have to jiggle the throttle to get the boat into neutral when in reverse.

Is this likely a drive related issue that will cost a fair amount to fix or is it likely something in the throttle linkage/shifter?

Thanks a lot for the help before I pull the trigger on this boat!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Its the cut out switch, pretty simple fix. Look on one of the exhaust manifolds where the primary cable meets the intermediate cable. There should be a small black and red (but possibly all black or grey) micro switch. With the engine running flick the switch and it should kill the engine. Power had to be interrupted for the dog gears to be able to disengage, this is done by momentarily interrupting the ignition vie this switch.

There is not as much to adjusting this system as there is to having it clean and free functioning to work properly. The cables and the bracket need to move freely, without this working it is very hard to pull out of gear. Going in gear it is not as necessary (if at all).
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 08-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
its the cut out switch, pretty simple fix. Look on one of the exhaust manifolds where the primary cable meets the intermediate cable. There should be a small black and red (but possibly all black or grey) micro switch. With the engine running flick the switch and it should kill the engine. Power had to be interrupted for the dog gears to be able to disengage, this is done by momentarily interrupting the ignition vie this switch.

There is not as much to adjusting this system as there is to having it clean and free functioning to work properly. The cables and the bracket need to move freely, without this working it is very hard to pull out of gear. Going in gear it is not as necessary (if at all).
+2
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glassdave and F inscreenname,

Thanks very much! I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the boat this weekend. It's not some 50 foot Mystic with 1350s, but I'm extremely excited and will upgrade to something more Offshoreonly worthy in a few years.

It's a 19 foot bow rider that will be used for babe transport and skiing. It has a brand new interior, a killer stereo, and is extremely clean with good maintenance record history that has been garage kept and winterized every year.