Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thats awesome how every critic on this site is such a great seaman and has never made a mistake.
Sure is easy to bust the drivers chops sitting behind a computer isn`t it
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree with that... I have had things come up quick on me at a whopping 65 MPH... anything can happen out there.... boat racers wreck.....NASCAR drivers wreck....bike racers wreck..all do no matter what...I see some things that could have been avoided. But very few here are innocent of stupidity at one point...

These wrecks are going through my mind sometimes when running 100 or better in friends boats....the older I get as a passenger I like my 63 MPH ride when I am in my own over being a passenger in faster boats...I feel in control...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Thats awesome how every critic on this site is such a great seaman and has never made a mistake.
Sure is easy to bust the drivers chops sitting behind a computer isn`t it
I know this video has scared the hell out of me (same boat to boot) and I would hope it has done the same to the majority of the readers. You may be reading comments of what he did wrong, and yes many may have made the same mistake in the same situation.....however my guess is 95% of the people that have watched this video have learned from it, and that makes this vid invaluable IMO. I wore my lanyard on flat water this past weekend because of this vid, and will now always wear it....just because of this vid.

The stick movement combined with the turning motion is what did him in IMO. I would never turn at that speed, even on flat water, he was definately turning to the starboard before the wave, and used the same throttle control I used to use to purposely dunk my jet boat into a wave for fun. As tradgic as it is I think we all agree he handled the whole situation like a true dangerous amature. Unless a UFO or the lochness monster popped out of the water in front of him, there is no one to blame but the driver.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.
Wishing everyone a speedy recovery!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

thank goodness ya'll were not sent over the side.

armchair driving comments removed.

Last edited by bounce; 09-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrSneakAttack
wow....no comment....had some hotties on the boat tho lol
You think those girls were hot? WOW!!! They look like they came straight out of the 80's. Funny part was they were trying to look all hot while holding on.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frame 5 he gets out of it. Frame 6 he went back to full.( his boat was airborn at tihs point) When you are running about 9% slip those props catch. That is what ****ed him.. Period. I'm, suprised his drives did not blow prior to this, if he drives like this. If he would have stayed back a bit on the sticks no problem. .02

http://www.wtsp.com/news/photo-galle...storyid=271990

And RD.. There IS a difference between boat racers and non boat racers..
There are some people that are racing boats that really arent boat racers and some people that are not racing boats that are boat racers
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
I'm not going to get into the cruiser wake controversy because I've never had to deal with them and to me it looks like an average size boat wake or maybe just the perfect storm of a couple of wakes that dumped them, but I did find these video's that show just how much trouble the cruiser wakes can be on our boats .
The people on the boat are having a good time with the trouble they cause .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVPU...hannel&list=UL .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ktgn...hannel&list=UL
That's taken from a 53 Carver which looks to be at cruising speed. What do you want the guy to do? I kinda find it funny that the fountain can't get on plane myself.

My boat came from the factory with props that couldn't get on plane in that situation. I got rid of them and have props that work in that situation now. It's pretty tough to blame a cruiser for having a setup that is so aggressive for top end you can't plane in rough water. Also, the dang channel looks to be a mile wide. Avoid the wake all together. There is another video that that same guy posted that shows boats doing just that.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I just found this clip I saw a couple of years ago with a little searching.
It's another hard landing on the starboard side that turned into a side stuff and capsize. This is our lake only 5 minutes from the house 20 plus years ago.
SE Texas bubba's out having fun in the summer sun, at the 15 second mark of the video they get a rude awakening.
Being a mostly bulkheaded lake we get some major chop washing machine effect on busy weekends too.
Even being locals we never heard of it then, you've really got to love this new information age.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQs9tloTzTM

See ya,
Kelly

I rode out there in a 38 fountain about ten years ago that was trying different props. One set he tried were "turning in". We hit some choppy water at around 78-80 (with mostly 2-3 footers) and it chine walked so hard we were nearly both thrown out I remember hanging on for dear life with my face almost in the water due to the boat being so far over on the port side.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Glad there were no serious injuries. Wakes come at you real quick at that speed....some you see and some you dont till its too late.
**** happens.
Can't believe how many people text and emailed me the YouTube Dubstepified version.
They are all famous offshore boaters now.
A co-worker said he's going to dress up like the driver along with his wife and her sisiter in bikini T-shirts for Halloween.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.