Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Thats awesome how every critic on this site is such a great seaman and has never made a mistake.
Sure is easy to bust the drivers chops sitting behind a computer isn`t it
I was a passenger when damn near the same thing happened in another boat. Call it busting chops but that dude is dangerous.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayfan
Driver looked at end of his skill set in that sequence. Money buys everthing but experiance. Well, actually, money can buy experiance. That dude just needed some more.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
WOW !!!

This thread is unreal reading.
What I can't get over is how many long time members have saved their first post since joining for just this type of thread.

I, truly, believe that although being an incredibly unfortunate accident that a lot of good will come from this.

And bashing the Captain serves no purpose. I sure he's bashing himself. I still think that the left handed throttling might have caused some of the clumsiness in control of the sticks.

See ya,
Kelly
Now we are blaming it on left hand throttles? When you drive your car which hand do you steer with? See, the left hand has a lifetime of training for acute dexterity, the right one is great for changing the radio station if his left hand was on the wheel and right on the throttle would he have jerked the wheel all over the place like he did the sticks?

Any fountain owner will tell you the left hand takes about 1 day to adjust to. It is irrelevant in this crash.

Say what you want about this being discussed, I am all for it. The more views on this site makes people see this CAN happen. As bad as it seems for the sport it is a rate inncendent that we can all learn from, and no one died.

A rouge wake nearly flipped the 50 ft my way just a few short weeks ago, and everyone blamed him as well. That was talked about for weeks, but did anyone in an 80 mph v-hull really think it could happen to them? This video is an eye opener and it may save future lives
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
I think the frame by frame really tells the story if you pay attention to the bodies and the list of the boat. He pretty much did what most of us do to jump a wake, turned to starboard to line it up closer to 90 degrees. But then he maintained that turn through the wake and the boat came down hard on the right side. At that point he has chopped the throttles (and probably turned the wheel a little farther to the right) and as Trey said, that will drop the bow and cause the stern to break loose, especially on a stepped hull boat. At that point the boat spun and they all went down. Then it came over to port and was very close to rolling in when the chine cut in (Mom got a face full of water). I have seen at least 3 race boats and one 38 Fountain pleasure boat spin in the exact same way, for the exact same reasons. (The pleasure boat was only moving about 40 but in a hard turn and the driver backed off the throttles). All that being said, how many of you guys have come down hard on one side or the other of the boat off a big wave? Although I think he could use a little throttle work, otherwise it was a series of small mistakes that bit this guy. And I wish everyone a speedy recovery.
I think Ted G has summed this up pretty nicely.

Michael
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

I wasn't assigning blame, it's just what I noticed the first time I saw the video. He appeared to be operating the sticks in a rather clumsy fashion.
First he had his hand upside down to the manner in which I and I'd guess most people would hold the throttles, he then switched back, and when he was on and off the throttle rapidly it looked like he was going the full range (idle to WFO) in a very jerky manner.
I've never driven a faster boat like his before but I've seen some of the vids where like this one of Avatar running wide open in the ocean, the thottleman maintains a much slower and narrower range sweeping motion with the throttle while letting off and reapplying the power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5Y9NipiVA
It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the video.
My boat is so heavy I've never been out of the water to have to work my sticks, after what I saw I picked up the fact that you should reduce and apply the thottle in a much less abrupt manner and not a long way from the range as to where it was prior to having to power down.

And, CONGRATS, on your new boat. I seem to remember a thread that you might have even been considering a cruiser earlier in the year.
A 38 Lightning with 575sc's has got to be a wicked cool ride indeed!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Now we are blaming it on left hand throttles? ....
Any fountain owner will tell you the left hand takes about 1 day to adjust to.
Took me 5 min to adjust to the lefty setup. Wouldn't have it any other way myself.

I'm just hoping this 'ghost' cruiser doesn't turn out to have lefty sticks too.

Maybe we can find something else to blame it on now?

I wasn't there, didn't see what the occupants saw, have no knowledge of the drivers ability. So making any assumptions would be purely speculation on my part, so I won't.
I just hope for a speedy recovery for all involved.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-06-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
That's taken from a 53 Carver which looks to be at cruising speed. What do you want the guy to do?
Well, if I were driving my cruiser and throwing a wake that size in that kind of traffic, knowing that anyone, including a 50' Meteor, would be placed in danger if they crossed it, I'd consider my self kind of a D!CK. YES, the captain should come off plane and let people by. What a jerk!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
Well, if I were driving my cruiser and throwing a wake that size in that kind of traffic, knowing that anyone, including a 50' Meteor, would be placed in danger if they crossed it, I'd consider my self kind of a D!CK. YES, the captain should come off plane and let people by. What a jerk!
NO he shouldn't! He has every right to that water way. I just don't understand your view point. If not in a no wake zone the cruiser is entitled to power his boat just as much as any other boat. there is no one forcing the guy to follow that cruiser as close as he is.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,848 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Bingo.

Originally Posted by low_psi
If not in a no wake zone the cruiser is entitled to power his boat just as much as any other boat. there is no one forcing the guy to follow that cruiser as close as he is.
It's not a closed course event! What part of this are you guys missing w/the poker run thing? Pleasure boaters can and should do whatever the hey they want to.
It's up to us to have our act together, know they're out there, and drive accordingly.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 09-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
LOL!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.