Notices

Driving Advice

Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad yall chimed in. This post sat for a day with no response. Rember your driving too flat bottom boats. Land on Your v bottom not Your flat side. Your boat an crew will love You for that. You can inter a wake a adjust your landing before your props leave the water. Try to learn this at lower speeds. Artie
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Sydwayz, well put, too stroked, spend more time on the boat bro
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seth0687
Thank you very much guys....2,500$ for the tres martin class is out of the question per the commander and chief (aka the wife)...with that being said I appreciate you guys taking the time pass on some of your knowledge!

As to the last post, I normally try and cross wakes at a 45 to 90 degree angle and on my lake there are few boats bigger than mine....however because of all the wake boarders and run abouts there are wakes coming in from all directions.

Seth
Not every course is 2500.00 please see the site www.performanceboatschool.com
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 75mph straight v-bottom. When I took Tres' course last year, it was $1500 plus traveling expenses (split between all the students.) That may seem expensive, but let the "sticker shock" subside and ask yourself what's more important than anything when you're on the water. The answer for me is obvious... me and my passengers' safety. Then realize that you are getting a full day of classroom instruction PLUS 1-on-1 instruction in your own boat from someone of Tres' caliber and learning valuable knowledge that will last you a lifetime.
Also, consider the labor rates of professionals in various areas of expertise (especially when it comes to boating) and compare. For me, it was a no-brainer. When I think about how much I care about the people who ride with me, their safety is my top priority and, especially in hindsight, that price feels mighty fair.

My $.02.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keytime
I have a 75mph straight v-bottom. When I took Tres' course last year, it was $1500 plus traveling expenses (split between all the students.) That may seem expensive, but let the "sticker shock" subside and ask yourself what's more important than anything when you're on the water. The answer for me is obvious... me and my passengers' safety. Then realize that you are getting a full day of classroom instruction PLUS 1-on-1 instruction in your own boat from someone of Tres' caliber and learning valuable knowledge that will last you a lifetime.
Also, consider the labor rates of professionals in various areas of expertise (especially when it comes to boating) and compare. For me, it was a no-brainer. When I think about how much I care about the people who ride with me, their safety is my top priority and, especially in hindsight, that price feels mighty fair.

My $.02.
Couldn't' agree with you more Keytime, but when you don't have the cash you don't have the cash. Therefore, I don't push limits and just cruise around. Or I go out early in the morning when there is no one on the lake and open it up.

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice

Seth
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 AM

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...anted-to-share
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seth0687
Couldn't' agree with you more Keytime, but when you don't have the cash you don't have the cash. Therefore, I don't push limits and just cruise around. Or I go out early in the morning when there is no one on the lake and open it up.

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice

Seth
I understand. Based on what you've said so far, I'd say you're already ahead of most people boaters when it comes to taking the right approach to safety.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bikercrze1
Sydwayz, well put, too stroked, spend more time on the boat bro
Yea, I work at a marina part time and have been boating for over 50 years. I get to take lots of folks out for their orientation rides in new boats and take that responsibility pretty seriously. It's amazing what people don't know about boating. It's refreshing when somebody like the OP actually asks for advice and I can help. As for where I got my experience, that would be tons of seat time in my boats as well as hundreds more at the marina.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

Speaking of throttle inputs, most people only think about adding throttle. There are many times when you need to constantly adjust (up and down) throttle position – especially in rough water. For instance, if you launch you boat off a wave and your prop leaves the water, you need to throttle back before reentry in order to reduce the shock on your drive – and passengers. And I’m not going to get into the finer details of throttling here other than to say the throttle is not a toggle switch.
Tom, thank you for the detailed post!

Can you point me in the direction or source that could get a little deeper into the throttle discussion?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Seth, I think it is safe to say we all know what you are going through. It would be cocky for anyone to watch that video and not think that it could happen to them, however mistakes were made and I think they are noted all over this site. I am glad that video made it out, anyone who watched it was at least a little more cautious this past weekend.

I have the same boat, based on the video vs videos I have made I estimate his speed at 85 mph+/-. video always makes it seem as if things are going slower than real life. Also, that windshield is tinted, he has shades on and it is over cast. The second half of the vid shows him looking through the shield, on my boat at 6ft tall I have to stand straight up to view outside the shield. It will hide wakes and pin markers, just enough tint, esp with sun glasses on

I still think boat wakes, especially in traffic are the most dangerous thing you will see out there. Consistant 4 ft waves are safer at speed IMO. Know where you are and your surroundings before you make a WOT run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.