Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
AAGGHH!!  F'n kidney stone!!!!! >

AAGGHH!! F'n kidney stone!!!!!

Notices

AAGGHH!! F'n kidney stone!!!!!

Old 07-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had stones twice. Had them 12 years ago, and had the lithotripsy done. In at 8 am home by noon, cured. No pain at all (until a couple weeks later when they remove the stint!! ) They said there was a 50% chance of getting stones again in 5 years. Extrapolate that to 10 years and the chance is 100%. Sure enough, almost exactly 10 years later, got em again. Had the lithotripsy done again. Same thing, in at 8 home by noon, cured. Very little discomfort afterward. The good news is they have improved the equiptment for removing the stint!

First time I had the stones, I didn't have any pain at all. As a matter of fact, the only way I knew anything was wrong was from blood in the urine. I first noticed this after a bouncing day in the boat, I thought that I had just hit my bladder against the steering wheel enough to cause bleeding. When it didn't go away, I found it was caused by stones.

Second time I had stones, the pain was pretty bad, a lesser man would have been in tears! The only relief I had, other than percosettes, was to fill the tub with water as hot as I could stand it and lay down in it.

My doc said it is usually caused by dehydration, ie not enough water intake. Told me to quit drinking coke,(which I'm addicted to), cut back on salt (I'm a salt fiend) and no coffee. I told him I would quit the coffee since I didn't drink it anyway. The doctors call the south the "Stone Belt" because of the heat, we have more dehydration therefore more stones. I hardly ever drink water (you know what fish do in that stuff), so I asked him about cranberry juice, and he said it was as bad as coke. Water was his only suggestion. I asked if coke was ok if I mixed in 1.5 ounces of Bacardi with it, but he wasn't going for that either.

The really bad news was, just before lithotripsy they take an xray to be sure the stone is in the same position. The tech that took the xray was apparently training a new person. I heard her in the next room asking the trainee what she saw repeadedly. I was wondering myself what the hell they saw other than kidney stones. My doctor, who is a booming voiced guy from South America, comes bouncing into the room before the procedure and says "Guess what amigo, you have about 200 gallstones too!" Haven't done anything about the gallstones yet (such is life with no health insurance) and when I eat a rich meal like prime rib, I will get some bad pain up under my sternum. So far I've been able to tough it out. Eating a lot more chicken now.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Foul who did you piss off in a former life me???? That sucks. As I understand it it is worse then child birth, so now you can sympathise with your wife if you ever get one
Old 07-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I like the Cypro stuff. That works for me.

Well, sorry to hear all your woes Jennifer. Guess I'm not so bad off.

Now, off to the lake to try and bounce this thing out!!
Later,

Mike
Old 07-10-2002, 04:50 PM
DJD
Registered

Originally posted by Waterfoul
Thanks for the offer Jennifer. I've also got a big ole bottle of Vicodin. BUT, I can't take it. Narcotic pain killers make me sick. Man, just can't win, can I?? LOL!!!!
Dude, hook me up!
I get banged up all the time. I love Vicodin.

p.s. I feel for you. I had my first stone 3 yrs ago. A whopping 9mm stone.
They took it out the 'ol fashond way.ooOOOOOOOooouch!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Registered

thats doesn't sound much fun foul.. hope ya get better... you old guys

Its great to be a young one

I am enjoying my vacation up here at the lake and just came in from the boat the fisherman were really pissed off this evening.. LOL!

Have a good evening
Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 PM

OUCH!!!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Registered

i have had em twice. the first time i thought it would never happen again. after second time almost a year later exactly(while snowmobiling in Quebec) i wanted to know what caused them. seems mine were diet related, cut back on ice cream and all but eliminated my two gallon a day iced tea addiction and started drinking water. so far three years and no problems yet.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Mike, Kick that thing out by Saturday. I got my oil cooler this week and have it about 75% installed already. I'm hoping it will allow me to cruise faster that 35mph without cooking the oil.

If you want to hook up and try my prop give me a call.

Get well, Doug
Old 07-10-2002, 11:19 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

traviss its not just the old farts!!!

mybrother is 26 and he has gotten them twice already. The first tiem was when he was 24 then again this year. But then again he drinks a ****load and lets just say there are frequently "other chemicals" that contribute to it.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Got my first one on vacation, in Bangor Maine, when I was 21. So you see Traviss, you CAN get them at your age!!!

Also got one 2 years ago AT Put In Bay. Made for a rather long stay.....even though it was only 4 days.

Quick Reply: AAGGHH!! F'n kidney stone!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.