Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
why are tiny boats so expensive??? >

why are tiny boats so expensive???

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default why are tiny boats so expensive???

i just wanted to get an opinion:

i always look around at all kinda boats and man i have to say i have noticed that some of these tiny lil 22-24 foot cat boats are stupid expensive!

22 talon and 24 skaters are advertised for well over 45k on a regular basis. and most of em at that price ar 20 years old! wtf????

you can buy ALOT more boat for 45k. and i mean ALOT!!!

jsut doesnt make since to me. idk whos crazier the buyers or the sellers.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy

i always look around at all kinda boats and man i have to say i have noticed that some of these tiny lil 22-24 foot cat boats are stupid expensive!

22 talon and 24 skaters are advertised for well over 45k on a regular basis. and most of em at that price ar 20 years old! wtf????

"BOTH" I happen to have a 1993 22 Talon twin. There were only 9 built as twins. It is a very cool boat and @ todays prices I doubt that you could build a new 22 for less than 100k. So, if the boat has been well maintained, improved with each modification, motors fresh, no dings or dents, Why wouldn't it be worth less than 1/2 price to someone that "wants" that type of boat and doesn't want to pay over 100k for it. My boat for example has 200 +/- hrs on it since new. Also if you are interested, we could talk @ 45k
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Pair
"BOTH" I happen to have a 1993 22 Talon twin. There were only 9 built as twins. It is a very cool boat and @ todays prices I doubt that you could build a new 22 for less than 100k. So, if the boat has been well maintained, improved with each modification, motors fresh, no dings or dents, Why wouldn't it be worth less than 1/2 price to someone that "wants" that type of boat and doesn't want to pay over 100k for it. My boat for example has 200 +/- hrs on it since new. Also if you are interested, we could talk @ 45k
Very good example. The 22 Talon is an awesome boat and I can easily see why asking price is in that range (for multiple reasons). Build quality on these is far above average, consequently so is value.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Some people think I'm nuts for having about $95,000 in my Donzi 22 Classic. That fact is, I don't want a whole lot more boat. I have my boat dialed in just the way I want and I can afford to trailer, insure and run the sh!t out of it. It's an '05 that I bought new and did a whole lot of work on. I now have a very reliable and dialed in package that can get me on the Great Lakes or smaller lakes.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

thats understandable in a way. and i agree that its all about what you want.

but how much better is the build quality of the talon over an elimiator or a spectre or a Warlock, or an American offshore??? all these boats can be had in any configuration for as much or less than 45k and they are much bigger and newer boats.

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy

Lol, I've noticed this before too. No one ever said owning a boat was cheap....LOL...
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

don't forget most of the smaller boats have the same expensive parts as the larger ones, built to the same quality. mine included. just a little more fiberglass doesnt change much of the cost of the build
Old 09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Because we're not as rich, and we really, really, realllllly need the extra lunch money.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said, it's not all small boats that are expensive. It's well built small boats that are expensive. And a Talon or a Skater would easily qualify as well built. I paid a pretty good buck for my Progression, but it's held up to more rough water (without a whimper) that anything else I've ever owned. After 20 years, it's well worth every penny I paid!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
As others have said, it's not all small boats that are expensive. It's well built small boats that are expensive. And a Talon or a Skater would easily qualify as well built. I paid a pretty good buck for my Progression, but it's held up to more rough water (without a whimper) that anything else I've ever owned. After 20 years, it's well worth every penny I paid!
I agree on the Progression. My bud has a 22 Progression with 300 Pro Max Yamaha. Rock solid boat! 10x more solid than my rattlebox Baja 275 Boss... Not cheap either...

I'd post a picture but I don't think I can w/o being a paying member - only 2 posts since 2005...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.