ok.. Emtpy or full tank before winter??

Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never do full usually about 1/4 to a half then treat it
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Electric fuel pumps. Do not crank over with an ignition on and coil hooked up! You might need to bypass the oil pressure switch.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here at bp stations we can get premium without ethanol. i always run that. put it away with under half tank in it treat it and open season i put at least ten gallons of race fuel just to bump up what i have to avoid the big D.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

decades of boat'n, put'm away w/ whatevers in there w/ proper stabilizer added of course, never a prob!!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

Empty!! Use the remaining gas in your other gear, might as well, you paid for it.

Nothing like a FRESH full tank in the spring for peace of mind. Plus any moisture that might collect in the tank during the off season will get diluted away with the new fuel in the Spring.

I built my portable siphoning system out of a Holley electric fuel pump, 20 feet of fuel line, and some clamps and hose barbs for about $50.

Both my tanks get drained bone dry right into my truck.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 773 Likes on 353 Posts

Done both - never a bit of anything in the fuel filters the following season and never a bit of problem. Don't over think it.

Getting the boat properly winterized is MUCH more important than your fuel level. Just throw some stabilizer in it and forget it.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never really looked at fuel levels just treated it with "some" sabilizer. Probalby over treat.

Beginning of year put higher grade fuel.

No problems. Knock on wood!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Empty

I pull the fuel line off and hit the vent tube with compressed air, once it starts flowing it siphons itself out until empty.

Also a great time to reset the gauge sending units for empty, the fill up in the spring gets me the setting for full.

After draining I run my engines until they stall, then pull the water sep, dump it, and reinstall empty.

I agree above, tape off the vent lines until you are ready to go in the spring. Mud wasps and spiders love those tubes.
Be careful not to over pressurize the tank. Do no use line pressure. Use only regulated air. 20psi should be plenty.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Done both - never a bit of anything in the fuel filters the following season and never a bit of problem. Don't over think it.

Getting the boat properly winterized is MUCH more important than your fuel level. Just throw some stabilizer in it and forget it.
Bingo.

If you choose to store it empty, I would tape over the vent(s). That's a lot of air volume to heat/cool/heat/cool over the winter, which means lots of condensation. Add ethanol-laced fuel in the spring, and you get a higher probability of phase separation.

Storing it (almost) full = very little air space = very little condensation.

Personally, I'd prefer to store mine empty and sealed. I hate the idea of $800 sitting there, not doing me any good.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Always stored it with 3/4 tank with stabilizer. Never had a problem but my friend working at a Marina says that they say to empty the tank because of the Ethanol. Will continue to do what I have done for years until there is a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.