Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them....... >

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Notices

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Twin you hit the nail right on the head. I had a buddy that had a v8 on a 21 superboat. It ran well but DRANK gas. I am sure that the owners of that sonic checked around to see how much it will cost to update that power and figured it might be cheaper to sell and buy.

If those engines on the sonic are healthy and you could get at the right price...might not be a bad deal.

Jupiter looking good! Just need to swap a pair of 300x's behind there and really fly! What kinds of speeds are you getting now?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default You may be right.

Originally Posted by dba900
I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid there was a 33' Sonic SS (I believe) with four 2.4s that ran around on the Cape for a few years. He had a lot of trouble with powerheads blowing, but it was fast (for the time).
I'm thinking, in the old school models, that they built a 28' and either a 31' or 33'. Thinking 33' though as they currently build a 31'.

Turbo, I've wondered though, you need big power/torque to push that much weight, so twin 300 V-8's working at 50% (for cruise) or 225's @ 75%??? Which is worse?
I've built a bazillion of the V-6 OMC's and the 8's are just two more pistons/rods stacked on top so I'm not sure on the fuel hog labels attached to these things.
My hunch is that a lot of that label comes from poorly tuned versions that would be fuel hogs. The V-6's SIX single barrel carb's are a hand full to keep in tune and the 8's would have two more
I would think a V-8 in proper tune should run close to what a small block/Alpha would.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the room in the cockpit.... Plus it may not be a big block rumble, but since when do people not like the sound of a dry sump v8 revving to 8K???

If I had the coin I'd buy that girl in a heart beat. I really like the sound and potential of the old 'rudes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Default Agreed.

Originally Posted by machloosy
Look at the room in the cockpit.... Plus it may not be a big block rumble, but since when do people not like the sound of a dry sump v8 revving to 8K???

If I had the coin I'd buy that girl in a heart beat. I really like the sound and potential of the old 'rudes
Would make some one a great, old school ride. The cabin in the thing is huge. I e'd him to ask about trading but got no reply.

As to the engine sounds....., there's nothing out there to mach a V-8 2 stroke, let alone two of them. The 2.5 liter Mercs scream but the 8's sound like Satan howling from the dark woods behind you and he's pissed off. Nothing like it.

As far as potential, here's what it takes in a car motor boat to get around an 8 thats built right. Thats a blown big block flat bottom w/a vee drive. In other words, about as bad as it gets!
The O/B is a Monty V-8 w/3 stages of nitrous. They ran a short course drag race and he lost by a boat due to him having a long course set up on the boat or he would have beat him.

Probably 700 HP's on juice.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

Default Interesting....

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I've been watching it. Pretty rare boat. First one that size I've seen that was built as an O/B.
Here's another ad for the same boat (before the wrap) listing it as a 31'. Not sure what's going on but appears to be someone trying to flip it. Advertised as near perfect but you can see a hatch bracket hanging down in one picture and it looks like speaker grills missing. Motors advertised as solid but they all are and w/it starting in Miami I'd be nervous. Nice cabin too.
I like it though.
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3385112493.html
Looks to be another scam from a used car lot. BTW, the 45' that was $179K is now on e-bay w/a buy it now of $119,500.

So the guy w/the twin O/B lists it once on e-bay w/a $27K BIN and got zero offers as I expected. Listed it again w/a $23K BIN so I decided to send him a note.
Told him I was on my second mid '80's Sonic and was pretty sure his was of a similar age. Asked for a picture of the vin # on the transom. Then, poof! The ad is gone. The one on Craigslist has expired also.
Be interesting to see what it surfaces as next time.
An option may be that he took it in payment of debt, not knowing anything about boats and w/o knowing what he was getting.
He may have looked at that vin # and spit his coffee
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Registered

And now.......,
It's a '88 31'
New ad says previous buyer defaulted. What after finding out his his '2002 32' boat is actually 14 yrs older than that?
Spooky stuff.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31-J-...orcev4exp=true
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was looking at this boat in the late 90's out of NJ. Curious where it is now. Twin O/B Sonic - you'll prob apprerciate the power
Attached Thumbnails Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-apache-1-.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-apache-2-.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Default Very.....

Originally Posted by shaun1368
I was looking at this boat in the late 90's out of NJ. Curious where it is now. Twin O/B Sonic - you'll prob apprerciate the power
cool. The 300's on the Sonic above also magically became 350's too.
Ton's of potential but I'd have to gut both of them like a fish and start fresh to be content.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I broke the 85 mph barrier this past Sunday. 90 is surely doable since I ran out of room. Also the water was slick. So with 6" of chop and enough distance I believe it will get it and maybe then some.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Registered

Default Good Job Paul!

Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass
Well I broke the 85 mph barrier this past Sunday. 90 is surely doable since I ran out of room. Also the water was slick. So with 6" of chop and enough distance I believe it will get it and maybe then some.

Need some side shots of it on the pad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.