Notices

Sun Rise at Put In Bay...

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Awesome Stuff!

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
We lucked out last year and was there for October fest.. Left early Saturday morning and suprised my pops. He was already over there so we took the gun over... It was a great weekend!!
My favorite trips there were always very early/late season. Normally made the point of trying to do that once a season.

Your story above reminds me of something I learned. The best times/trips are always the ones that just happened. You have so much fun that you then make plans to duplicate it later but of course it's never as good as the first one.

We had a similar one by car one year when we came up for the New Yrs eve Walleye Drop in Port Clinton. New years day was absolutely gorgeous! Mid 70's and sunny.
So we stock a cooler and take the car over on the ferry. End up at Mr. Ed's watching the Rose Bowl game w/the locals. They were having an end of season party and cleaned out the shelves/freezer and dumped everything in a pot and cooked it
Told the bar tender we were considering staying if we could find a room for the night and thought the weather would hold for us to get back the next day. He got us a room that was still open at their hotel and after several more libations convinced ourselves that the ferry would get us back.
End up being a one in a million weekend, made it back the next day before the weather turned back to crap and the ferry ended it's season.

Thanks for the pix's and for jogging my memory.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid island I love it....heading up next saturday!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Driver
Ahh PIB.....I miss those carefree days! Some of the best years of my life were working at the B-Barrell in the late 80s/ early 90s.....
You know Ben the dj??
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Registered

Default Now that's...

Originally Posted by paul235
Stupid island I love it....heading up next saturday!
funny
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
My favorite trips there were always very early/late season. Normally made the point of trying to do that once a season.

Your story above reminds me of something I learned. The best times/trips are always the ones that just happened. You have so much fun that you then make plans to duplicate it later but of course it's never as good as the first one.

We had a similar one by car one year when we came up for the New Yrs eve Walleye Drop in Port Clinton. New years day was absolutely gorgeous! Mid 70's and sunny.
So we stock a cooler and take the car over on the ferry. End up at Mr. Ed's watching the Rose Bowl game w/the locals. They were having an end of season party and cleaned out the shelves/freezer and dumped everything in a pot and cooked it
Told the bar tender we were considering staying if we could find a room for the night and thought the weather would hold for us to get back the next day. He got us a room that was still open at their hotel and after several more libations convinced ourselves that the ferry would get us back.
End up being a one in a million weekend, made it back the next day before the weather turned back to crap and the ferry ended it's season.

Thanks for the pix's and for jogging my memory.
Great Story Twin. I love reading your posts on the islands. It is very well written. I feel I was hanging at the bar right then and there!!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

Default Thank....

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Great Story Twin. I love reading your posts on the islands. It is very well written. I feel I was hanging at the bar right then and there!!
you sir. It's a special place up there that as you know, still holds a very special place in my heart.
We are scheduled to fly up next week and I keep looking at the calender, weather reports and Sonic trailer.......and thinking about it.
Not this time though.

On the islands, in season I'd never think of taking a car over and normally the ferries schedule to prevent this for the weekends. Out of season though, I always enjoyed those trips as there's no island traffic and it is way different being there w/your own wheels.

I do still remember the locals harassing me (after deciding to spend the night) about all the tourists that have gotten their cars stuck on the island for the winter