Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs? >

Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?

Notices

Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt - Glad you mentioned Formula Rendezvous and the value of wade-able water. Here's some shots from our last three two-day, overnight Chesapeake Formula Rendezvous. These types of events are low-stress, low-expense and great fun!

(And - Yes, we did have our women with us...)
Attached Thumbnails Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?-img_0449-%5Bhdtv-720-%5D.jpg   Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?-img_0450-%5Bhdtv-720-%5D.jpg   Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?-formularendezvous092011003.jpg  

Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?-formularendezvous092011029.jpg   Commentary: Is There Life Beyond Poker Runs?-20120915_movie.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
Matt, your article brings up a point we discussed while we were in Destin. Stu could certainly learn a few things from the way Skipper ran this event.
Only catch there is that Stu/FPC is providing Poker Runs as a business not as a "thank you" for clients (like the Cig run was).
Kind of like taking your clients out for lunch as a thank you vs. opening a restaurant for business 365 days a year. Obviously running a Poker Run for business will cost the clients more also.

Stu/FPC and PRA have been battling for events in Florida for years....sometimes having events nearby on the same weekend! This practice hurts both businesses and can alienate the clientele that feel obligated to go to one event over the other.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay Matt I agree that's why fun runs are catching on just get togethers only thing about the standing around in waste deep water drinking is you can end up with a lot drunk people at the end of the day driving boats and that's what we used to do
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim - That's why we invite the cruisers: So we can spend the night!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Hay Matt I agree that's why fun runs are catching on just get togethers only thing about the standing around in waste deep water drinking is you can end up with a lot drunk people at the end of the day driving boats and that's what we used to do
Just about anything or any situation can be abused by people who are irresponsible. I have seen more than one boat at a poker run with open containers on board, and I'm not talking ancient history.

Point being: The same people who abuse one event or situation will abuse another. It comes down to respect (or a lack of it) for others on the waterway and personal responsibility. Abuse your privilege and it will be taken away from you. The laws for BUI and DUI are harsh because they need to be.

That said, I believe that most people I meet on the water these days take BUI very seriously. Not all, but most.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 10-08-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Fun runs are going to be a schedule all their own soon. Bank on it.

The days of even the "haves" dropping $500-$1000 or more to enter an event that gives you a crappy buffet and maybe a basic map are coming to an end quickly. The "have less" group has already started the trend and the numbers grow and grow.

Great runs, in fun spots, that are priced well and care more about the fun factor and possibly a good cause are getting ever more popular too.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

My commentary was not intended to bash poker runs. Again, I think I was pretty clear on what I believe their value has been and continues to be. I was just suggesting that there are other opportunities out there, and that breaking things up sometimes is a good.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The internet changed the game for events years ago, and the "Fun Runs" have benefited tremendously because of it.

The small boat guys have been doing the fun runs for awhile now, and they are a big success for turnout, with little to no cost to the organizer and/or guests.

Just to give you an example. We had a post start back in August of last month and within a week or two, an event was organized and dates were set. We planned a weekend run from Palatka to the Glen, and within a month's time created an event that drew 50 boats. My cost for the weekend for fuel, food, booze, room and everything was less than $500... (granted I was in the Allison so fuel was considerably less than if in the Velocity)

I also was part this weekend's Poker Run in Tampa, and although I had an awesome time, the costs are drastically higher. Doesn't mean I will never do another, just means I may only do one a year or one every couple of years.

I would definitely put me in the "have less" group, so I have to pick and choose more carefully on the events I attend, therefore costs are part of the determining factors.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poker Runs for the most part should be fun runs as well,,
its the big ballers that have turned them into what basically comes down to unsanctioned races for million dollar raceboats..
All our poker runs here on Travis are also fun runs, we have beach parties, raft offs , ,etc all as part of every run.. While we do have stops there is no timetable and no racing from stop to stop.. Hands are 50-100-200 (includes free tshirts) depending on run and only reason for that is because most the money is all donated to charity HOWEVER its is not required to join in on the runs.. No elitism here..
Wish more runs were like ours ..
You can put me in the "have way less" group.. LOL

pic of our beach party poker run, not shown is the bbq pit and Dj
we had set up on the beach, limbo contests and great food were to follow..
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31821447_n.jpg

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 10-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.