Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)??? >

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Notices

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

In a boat going fast with engine noise and wind I think a horn type speaker will be the most audible though. I want to be able to hear it when running.....
Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
My buddy is a JL Premier dealer and they will have the 8.8" speakers sometime in early November for the first shipment. I have 7.7" Components with HD amps and sub they sound and look great.
tell youre buddy to give me a call .. 608 921 0106 i want two pair
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
In a boat going fast with engine noise and wind I think a horn type speaker will be the most audible though. I want to be able to hear it when running.....
Then you need to set it up pointing right at you. You could put a wakeboard tower on your bow and blast away at speed.

Traditional speakers are better for a cockpit, just use good ones and lots of power.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Then you need to set it up pointing right at you. You could put a wakeboard tower on your bow and blast away at speed.

Traditional speakers are better for a cockpit, just use good ones and lots of power.
Agreed, those hlcd speakers are as directional as the old projection tvs, like a beam of sound
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Originally Posted by 4bus
Agreed, those hlcd speakers are as directional as the old projection tvs, like a beam of sound
An automotive pizeo tweeter is designed for the quiet, controled environment of a car. Project about 6 feet, compact, deliver a smooth sound and cheap to produce.
HLCD is up to 20db more efficient, meaning it CAN get loud. Why is it not more popular? Mounting depth and raw cost of production.
It is probably not for the wine and cheese set that likes smooth jazz or pick out the cello in an orchestral crescendo.
HLCD handles popular music very well. Most rock, dance, country and rap is electronically produced and suited to the HLCD. How the speaker sounds depends on the crossover. Bullet, Krypt, and WetSounds new Rev are fairly mellow with stock crossover. They can get stupid loud but the crossover is tweaked to miss the "sharpness" the human ear interperts at a particular frequency.

The efficiency lets it cut though the roar of an engine and wind while running and play loud enough to be heard a couple boats away or over the next boat over when coved.
Highs are directional by nature whether produced from a pizeo or HLCD. The difference is the pizeo is not efficient enough to push the high volumes many boat owners ask it to and it distorts. Just like a good amp; HLCD has plenty of head room to sound good.
They are not cheap but I dont think they are that much more than installing 2-3 times more speakers to acheive audible highs.

A little write up I did on my install.....
http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...rivers-in-boat
Note, they are in low stock locations. Not an ideal location but there is no problem with sound levels or imaging.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 10-16-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Chargeit- there is no question hlcd speakers are loud, I was not debating that. But the pa speakers in our ballpark are also loud, but when they play music it sound like chit.

I have heard a lot of tower hlcd, they just dont sound good to me, loud isnt everything. In fact they are getting so popular lately I feel they are going to be a problem soon. A boat had them pointed at one of the beach bar/rest this summer and the bar called the cops. They went right to my boat thinking it was me.

Another wakeboard boat was parked at a bay party with paid entertainment and their hlcd speakers were so loud I could not here the hired help, only ear piercing, low sound quality, gangster rap.

My system can be heard and felt at 90 + mph on my boat. And is loud enough to ripple the water, and keep the boats tied to me entertained without annoying the whole bay.

I added these to the system this year and am very pleased

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M8...441670&sr=8-19

Combo tweeter horn with good sound quality to compliment the full range sound coming out of my boat.

I hear it all the time "turn it up, wow that sounds amazing a clear" I thought music was supposed to be played clear and distortion free? I can't enjoy my wine and cello of the sound quality isn't just right hahaha
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

4bus, bummer to hear of your unfortunate experiences.
Sounds like the issue is more about courtsey, responsibility and respect, especially around pubilc venues.
I see it often enough on LOTO and it is disappointing when someone rolls into a restaurant dock and proceeds to make more noise than the band or a large boat unloads tons of people that continue to party on the dock and only use the bar for bathrooms. All the worse when the music is a narrow genre that tends to be heavy on explicitives.

Every tower speaker is not an HLCD and not every HLCD will sound clean. Especially if they dont follow the other basic points of proper amplification, battery voltage and sound level balance that we have discussed in this thread. The problem with many wake boats is it is much easier to hang cans on a tower than balance them with space consuming subs and multiple batteries.

Different people can have different definitions of "good" sound.
Many boats too dont have the square footage to mount many speaker pairs on the gunwals or a rear bench tall enough to house 4 12" subs. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Just because HLCD has the headroom does not mean it needs to be pushed beyond the balance of the rest of the system if sound quality is sought.
I could spin it that the fact that additional super tweets needed to be added to your system is proof standard pizeo tweets can not keep up at high volume demands.
The title of the thread is "best "8" plus coax speaker" and OP later emphasized he wanted to only use the original 4 mount holes. I can agree the super tweet does not take up huge room and might be a viable compromise addition.

I will even go so far to say, I think loud, uncontrolled stereos around dock areas may be facing increasing pressure. Much like performance boats that cant flip their equiped captains call at the dock.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
4bus, bummer to hear of your unfortunate experiences.
Sounds like the issue is more about courtsey, responsibility and respect, especially around pubilc venues.
I see it often enough on LOTO and it is disappointing when someone rolls into a restaurant dock and proceeds to make more noise than the band or a large boat unloads tons of people that continue to party on the dock and only use the bar for bathrooms. All the worse when the music is a narrow genre that tends to be heavy on explicitives.

Every tower speaker is not an HLCD and not every HLCD will sound clean. Especially if they dont follow the other basic points of proper amplification, battery voltage and sound level balance that we have discussed in this thread. The problem with many wake boats is it is much easier to hang cans on a tower than balance them with space consuming subs and multiple batteries.

Different people can have different definitions of "good" sound.
Many boats too dont have the square footage to mount many speaker pairs on the gunwals or a rear bench tall enough to house 4 12" subs. Sometimes compromises have to be made. Just because HLCD has the headroom does not mean it needs to be pushed beyond the balance of the rest of the system if sound quality is sought.
I could spin it that the fact that additional super tweets needed to be added to your system is proof standard pizeo tweets can not keep up at high volume demands.
The title of the thread is "best "8" plus coax speaker" and OP later emphasized he wanted to only use the original 4 mount holes. I can agree the super tweet does not take up huge room and might be a viable compromise addition.

I will even go so far to say, I think loud, uncontrolled stereos around dock areas may be facing increasing pressure. Much like performance boats that cant flip their equiped captains call at the dock.
I will agree with you that I have most likely not heard an hlcd speaker not "cranked" and I also can't be sure they were powered correctly. I can tell you thi, the ones that I have heard I know were hlcd because I have never in my life heard a speaker that loud, short of a pa system.

While our exhaust may be obnoxious to some, it is here and gone in seconds, or a few minutes if we have to dock. Btw the fine for silent choice is ny is more that the fine for loud exhaust. Silent choice is an "illegal exhaust modification" 250 fine....crazy

I have never seen the boat stereo market erupt as his has in the past two years. Dj speakers sitting on bows running off gens, and now these hlcd. Sooner or later it will be the new hot topic with law enforcement
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do live sound for a living and tell you horn loaded speakers can sound more precise than any direct radiating speaker but it costs money , you need seperate amps and a digital proccesor/drive rack to make it all come together and they are definately not designed to be listened to 5ft away ! Some of the modern line arrays sound like you are wearing amazing headphones.

Todays set for Teacher Conference.
8 flown mains EAW KF465
8 front fills EAW JF260
8 delays Apogee AE5s
roughly 5000 people..
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32732142_n.jpg

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 10-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Todays set for Teacher Conference.
8 flown mains EAW KF465
8 front fills EAW JF260
8 delays Apogee AE5s
roughly 5000 people..
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32732142_n.jpg
Now those are horn systems, that sound like nothing else. I also am a dj and have, been in the sound field in one way or another for over 20 years. Also am a former member of the Audio Engineers Soceity.

I have heard several of the HLCD systems. Most of the ones I have heard sound like crap. Now I will admit I have not setup a system with them to see what I could get out of them. The last one I heard was at a raft up. Yea it was loud, but everyone was asking them to turn it off it sounded so bad.

My system is nothing crazy. Untill late this year it was 2 set's of 6.5" mids and 1" tweeters in the cockpit with 3 12" subs under the bench. At the end of summer I added another set of mids and tweets in the swim deck. Now my boat gets pretty loud, not crazy loud, but I can be heard from a good distance. Plus it sounds crystal.

I can run WFO with open exhaust on 454 mags. And I can hear my system clear as day at 1/2 volume. It's all in the setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB84t...7&feature=plcp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.