Notices

air pressure

Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Default air pressure

i checked the air pressure in my trailer tires today,the tire calls for max of 55 lbs,5 of them had 55 lbs,but one only had 54 lbs,my question is,did i ruin that tire or is it ok ?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you did possibly ruin that tire. I would replace it immediately and just for good measure, replace the other 5 as well so you have all matching tires with the same amount of tread on them.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Agreed. One PSI lower than the others? How could you allow such an oversight? Yes, the tires are shot now for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

The low tire certainly created drag on one side of the rig. Your tow vehicle is now in need of an alignment.

You may get by, for now, with tire rotation on the tow vehicle, however, a thorough inspection of the brake linings is essential before driving any further.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

my tow rig is desiel power,now im worried that the uneven drag caused by the low tire might have ruined one of the fuel injectors,should i take the truck to ford and have all the injectors replaced,i want all the cylinders to be even,maybe i will trade it for a gas power,d truck,then i could just regap the plugs.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

now im worried that the drag caused by the low tire might have ruined one of the ball joints,im afraid to drive the truck to the ford dealer ,should i get it towed in?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

First things first.....are you checking them the proper way? I have listed the below the proper way to check and adjust tire pressure on a boat trailer, failure to follow such instructions will cause god to kill a puppy.

1. Hoist the entire trailer and boat off the ground, no tire can be touching as this may throw off the readings.

2. Establish base line cold pressure, then heat each tire using a propane torch to road temp, the number you are looking for is 480 degrees (I know, I didn't believe it at first either) re check pressure.

3. If the pressure "balance" is off more that 1 percent across all tires the AIR is no good and must be changed immediately. Lug nut torque can effect air pressure so be sure to loosen and re-torque them as well.

4. Lastly is the road simulation test, you will need 7 people to perform this accurately. Using 6 air pressure gauges monitor the tire pressure at the same time that the entire trailer and boat are dropped from the hoist. Compare max readings across the tires, if there is any variation at all you will need new tires and have to start this entire process over. I use the nascar spec analog gauge (no digital!) these gauges can be purchased online for about $629.99 each

I know it is winter, but this is basic stuff you should know if you are going to own a boat. Failure to do this make you a danger to not only the public, but the sport as well. Keep the pressure where it should be at all times!!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Send me all of the old tires so I can assess the damage
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Send me all of the old tires so I can assess the damage
i will also send the truck tires as im afraid they may also be ruined.the more i think about it,the more i realize the damage that can happen from a low trailer tire.now im thinking the boat may need to de repainted due to the air dragging on the hull on the side with low tire.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Better check the kanibbler pin and wobbler wheel. Might have to lube muffler bearing as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.