Notices

Trim Tabs ??? Baja Hammer

Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tabs ??? Baja Hammer

Looking to get a set of Trim Tabs for my 22' Baja Hammer. She gets a little unsettled with chop and swells and thought this would help out the ride and allow me to run a bit faster in the ruff stuff than what Im doing now.
Seems to me trim tabs would make a boat ride "bigger" than what it really is... yes??
Can you go to big on tabs? I located some dual piston 14x18's #15044-101 and on Lenco wedsite, they say fit 22-42' boats. Lenco's size chart shows every size of heavy duty tabs offered to fit a 22' boat....so how to get the right ones?
Thanks for suggestions...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Registered

IMO you can't go too big when considering ride quality. I own a 21' deep v ski race boat and I run the Dana hp1100 tabs (very big). They do however drag more than shorter tabs when in contact with water so can wash a little speed off.
Another thing to consider is to mount horizontal or parallel with angle of boat bottom. This tends to be a personal choice. Parallel makes tabs act more abruptly and has more influence on boat attitude than horizontal. I've driven boats with both set ups and I prefer parallel. That's how mine are setup. It is a personal choice however and many will argue for the other way.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Registered

Hamilton, you think you could post up a pic of your tabs? Im going to do some research on the different tab setups....I hadn't even really thought of it till you mentioned it.

Originally I had planned on looking for some K-Planes but many told me they would be overkill for a boat that only see's mid to high 60's....I'm not really sure on that but...

I don't feel as though I have solid control over her if I trim her out for a good run...my center console fishing boat has tabs and it makes a world of difference when i trim it out for a top speed run.

Something else I plan to do is relocate the outdrive trim button to the wheel...think this will help part of my control concerns by keeping hands on wheel rather than back and forth on the trim.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

The 12" x 18" size you mentioned will work just fine. You can go bigger - and somewhat lengthen the hull or the way it rides - but you've got to be careful how you mount them. If you do some searching on this site, you'll find lots of threads on how to mount them. One thing you might want to know about Lencos is that they're very fast acting compared to most other brands. This can be good, but you will need to get used to them.

I added 12" x 12" tabs to my 22' Progression and am very happy with them. They truly transform the way the boat rides in rough water. I can actually run somewhat comfortably in 3's at around 55 MPH now.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Too Stroked,
Thats what Im looking to accomplish...to transform the boat in rough water. All boats tend to ride nice in calm seas but throw some wave action at these shorter hulls with less deadrise and its a different story.
The lenco set I located is part #15046-101. They are 14x18" Heavy Duty dual ram setup.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a set of used heavy duty single ram lencos 15043-101 call if interested.jay2 3 9-437-9480
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Registered

This can be good, but you will need to get used to them.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

You are right on the money with putting on tabs for ride quality. Had a Scarab 18 and a Scarab 22, both of which would ride so much better with tabs. Bennett has a 12x16 pair for under $1000 bucks that would be perfect for your 22. They do actuate slower than Lencos though.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbspd
Too Stroked,
Thats what Im looking to accomplish...to transform the boat in rough water. All boats tend to ride nice in calm seas but throw some wave action at these shorter hulls with less deadrise and its a different story.
The lenco set I located is part #15046-101. They are 14x18" Heavy Duty dual ram setup.
Mine rode pretty nice (24 degree deadrise), but the boat is so light that bigger water tended to send the bow for the sky. With properly mounted and set tabs, you can pretty much set the attitude and altitude you want to fly the boat at.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

My 97' Hammer came with a single ram bennett trim tabs as part of the Boss Package. I think they were approx 10 x 12. Worked pretty good even with a 454/Bravo 1 package.